Fast enough for deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by phillip, Aug 16, 2007.

1. phillip

phillip Hog wild

my bow is only shooting 232 fps. the guys on here have gave me some good info on getting it faster, but i dont want to loose KE. What are some thoughts out there on hunting deer with this kind of speed? I have taken many hogs that never seen it coming, took one old boar with 2" plate and had complete pass thru.
    My arrows are 9.3 gpi., i know i could drop lower and gain speed but i would loose KE. I dont know what to do, I have to give up one for the other.:frusty:

2. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

thats plenty fast to kill a deer :peace: :peace:

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Stick with what you have. We all killed many deer with bows a lot slower than that in the old days.

4. phillip

phillip Hog wild

Thanks for your help.

5. phillip

phillip Hog wild

Thanks, I think the KE is the key.

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Just ask and ol Indain how fast ya have ta shoot.:D

7. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I took plenty with my old Bear...and I swear it shoots 180-190...@ 55# and a 500 gr arrow give or take...They used to laugh at it at the 3d's...
    Might have to chrono it just for a laugh...:lol:

8. nyarcher

nyarcher Member

i've taken 10 plus deer with my old high country discovery.(shooting192fps)your bow is more than enough.

9. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

Try not to worry about speed, being quiet is more important anyways:usa:

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Exactly..........

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Your big concern with speed is to make sure your yardage estimate is right...at these speeds 5 yrds can make a big difference...

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yup and he knows about shooting slow bows! :lol:

Keep in mind, it takes something like 30 lbs of KE to kill a deer (if that) so if you are above that then you are good to go! Also, make sure your broadheads are sharp and used fixed blades!

13. piethon

piethon Member

My first deer was a doe at 22 yards.
    500grain aluminum arrow
    48# draw
    BLISTERING 178fps!!
    complete pass through.

14. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I agree with everyone else that 232 is fast enough for deer, but you wouldn't lose KE going to a lighter arrow.

You're shooting 396 grains at 232. That's 47.34 ft-lbs.

If you could shoot 330 grains at 260 you'd have 49.55 ft-lbs

300 grains at 275 you'd get 50.39 ft-lbs.

Here's a calculator if you want to check it yourself:

http://www.archeryhq.com/kin.htm

If I were you I'd stay with the arrows you have since you're already set up and to change you'd have to go the trouble and expense of buying new arrows, re-sighting in with the new pin gaps, etc., but the next time you go to buy new arrows you might consider going with something lighter.

More speed never hurt anybody. :D

15. steve bear

steve bear Member

"but" you can have speed & ke..a bow can be set up to have both...you dont need a ton of ke to shoot deer..just how far you want to stick in the ground after the passthrough...232 will kill a deer 260 out of that bow would be better...

16. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

even though not my thread thanks for the calculator i was curious what my new vectrix was shooting.....

Arrow weight (grains) 373
    Arrow velocity (fps) 302

Kinetic Energy = 75.56

should not have any issues with pass through there....

vectrix
    71#
    30"draw
    maxim 350
    85 grain tip

17. phillip

phillip Hog wild

You guy's have gave me some grate info,Thanks.
    I think I'll try a few things and see if i can get a littel more speed with out going overboard.I'll let you know how it works out.
    Once again I thank all who took the time to share there wisdom with somone new to the sport.
    With guys like you all helping out I'll be way ahead of the game, for a new shooter that is...:thumb:

18. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Speed!

K.E. Is not what its cracked up to be!
    My back-up bow is a PSE Talon recurve take-down 55Lb.
    It shoots a 2117 XX78 at 425gr arrow at only 166fps
    kenetic energy is the force the arrow hits with,But if you use a lead cutting edge broadhead as i do the K.E. or over all punch power is not as much of a factor!
    Mine is only around 26 they say you need to have at least 25 on deer, but i believe with the pentatration im getting on targets i could shoot an elk at say 20yds and get enough depth to take him!
    Just a thought!
    Also my son last year shot a big doe at 18yds with a Rocket sidewinder 100gr And his bow only shoots 218 through the crono. complete pass-threw!:noidea:

19. BowTechArch

BowTechArch Senior Member

These two bucks were killed with one shot each from a #54 Black Widow shooting arrows ranging in weight from 405 grains [Cedar arrow/Snuffer BH] to 455 grains [XX75 2117 arrow/Magnus BH] at speeds ranging from 187 to 165 fps.

20. SA hunter

SA hunter Junior Member

More than fast enough, I must say I am happy with the 347fps my Iron mace puts out. Shot it over the crono just now and WOW it is so fast. :D