fat v thin arrows indoors

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by juniorarcherdb, Sep 19, 2007.

1. juniorarcherdb

juniorarcherdb Junior Member

hi
    i would like to ask your opinion on fat v thin arrows
    i know that fat arrows are slower so more accurate but they have a tendency to deflect into lower scoreing zones.
    obviosly thiner arrows dont have that trobble as much.

what do you think.
    juniorarcherdb

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

For indoor I use Easton Fatboys and would never shoot anything but a fat shaft for indoor because of the clear advantage.
    I don't see any 'deflection' with those at all. The fatter arrow definitely gives you a better advantage to cut into the next higher scoring ring. Nobody I shoot with that has indoor specific equipment shoots anything but a fat shafted arrow. In fact theer are quite a few pros that use fat shafts for outdoor 3D as well...

Ron

3. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

How are you getting deflections? Whether it's a Vegas round or 5 Spot they make multiple spot targets so only one arrow per spot. That's what most of us use. I've been using the 3 Spot Vegas target for about 30 years now.

Big shafts for this 20 yard stuff.

4. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

the fatter the better....I think I am gonna try some broom handles tonight :biggrin1:

5. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

I am going with 4" PVC pipe myself. I did use ACC last year when I was shooting BHFS but this year I going all out and putting some color on my bow.

Hey Ronhop what size tips are you useing for your fatboys??

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Must have been your motto before your current unit......:cool:

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

11/32", 100 grain on the 400 spine Fatboys. I did experiment with 80 grain but 100 grain tips made the arrows fly better and my groups were quite a bit better. Improved FOC or a better spine match ? Or combination of both ?

Ron

8. Hook Em

what are you talking about...there was never anyone before my current unit!!! </brownie points>

9. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

you better bring broom handles for the smack down at the bow zone tonight... i am gonna use my skinny maxims to whip ya with........... :biggrin1: ..... ill be there around 5:00 today

10. Hook Em

I am finally gonna have to bring out my "A" game tonight. I feel like a 350 50x tonight

11. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I usely bad mouth people the do the brownie point thing. But in you case I would agree :eyebrows:

Anyway 2613 all the way, 180 gran nibbs, 5 inch feathers.

12. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Indoors you want FATTTTT as you can get. I have nice luck with Carbon Express CXL2's, the 150's go up to like 60lb they say. I like them...they are nice and light and nice and fat.

Outdoors I use Carbon Express Nano's and what I experienced this last weekend at the FITA Shoot...the wind didn't bother them at all, so I'm sticking with those forever as far as I'm concerned.

13. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I still am partial to aluminum for spots . I like the Eclipse X7 2613 w/ 5 inch feathers.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

CX Linejammers 250's indoor and out.......best of both worlds....light strong and accurate........

15. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

hey Bunny! you ever had them twist in half pulling them out of a 3d target?
    I think the guy had a bad batch. Thats what I told him any ways. He had 3 of them twist in half while we were at Gainesville this year... I've never seen them do this. At fist I thought maybe they were already cracked from him shooting. but he said he just had them fletched up and havent been shot yet... Was really strange.

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I once had one that was pretty old, hit the corner of apiece of plywood in my block target and break right in half, but other than that, I shot a single spot target when I first started indoor, the only time there was a problem was when I would robin hood an arrow....and I shot a ton of 55x, nightsw/them.....thats a lot of banging and beating.....

17. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

I ve been using 100 grain also, but was kind of wondering about 150 grain tips for them. I am only using them for indoor and though maybe a little more FOC wouldn't be bad for spots.

18. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

putem in the X and you wont need fat shafts:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

If you went 125 or 150 grain you might end up with an underspined arrow if you're already borderline on the spine. I played around with the "On Target" software. You can download it for free (in 'demo' mode). You can see how point weight affects spine. It's pretty neat and actually helped me better understand the whole picture behind point weight, arrow spine, draw weight, brace ehight, letoff, etc...

Ron

20. Allen

Allen Senior Member

Then where are all my groupies? :biggrin1:

Rule of thumb is that most archers are going to get 4 or 5 more points over a 300 match.

However, a couple of the top pro's are going to very thin arrows so that they will have an advantate when the shoot-off gets to the inside out stage. Jesse Broadwater is shooting either ACE's or X-10. I think that he went to thin when he lost to Braden on the 27th arrow of the shoot-off in Louisville a couple of years ago. Of course he is one of the guys that doesn't worry about X's. He is shooting for IO X's.

Us mortals will do a little better with the fat arrows.