Feds closing public lands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by brokenarrow, Mar 17, 2007.

1. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

This is one thing that pisses me off about the NRA... you never hear the whole reason why something is happening. The Fed's aren't just going to get bored and shut it down.

A similar thing happened a few years ago. the NRA was up in arms over the PA Game Commission shutting down several public shooting ranges.

What came out later was they were shutting them down due to insane amounts of lead that was actually leaking into the water system, who knows what kind of damage a few million rounds of ammo can do to a local eco system if it isn't cleaned up. The clean up was going to cost something like 1/2 a mil per site.

AS for these issues:

The Ironwood forest is looking to ban RECREATIONAL SHOOTING. (IE: shooting targets wherever you feel like). The ban on Las Vegas is RECREATIONAL SHOOTING. due to houses being to close to the shooting range.

I have no clue about the waterfowl one.

So here is the solution. Instead of letting it get this bad in the first place do something pro actively! I can almost guarantee that the reason these areas are being shut down are due to people shooting signs, at camp sites, destroying the range... and being general nuisances.

At the local public range I spoke with a Game warden who told me that the range costs over 200K a year to maintain. They have to replace the wood almost every other week, they have to keep it maintained, pick up all the brass and shells that are left laying around, insure it, police it... basically its a losing battle, and the NRA isn't helping to keep these open

I'm willing to bet the reason the waterfowl areas are being closed are due to lead in the water or some other perfectly valid reason.

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

We have the same problem

In virginia the anti's are so strong there telling the game com.what to do.
    they shut down archery-ranges at game-preserves that they just built 5 year's ago to put in hikeing trail's & horse,trail's & said it cost to much to maintain,bail's & thash being thrown on the ground's.
    what about how much in cost to shovel horse-!&#%& ,that my tax's are paying the great & nobel virginia state game & inland fisheries.:mad:

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yes right now it's recreational shooting...
    Once they stop one activity they have a precident to stop another...

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

good point....

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Will we let them take out guns next. DISARM US. as in everybody they will have tha guns.
    Just think what tha Jews in Hilters day could have done if they had'nt given there's up> HS

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I agree with you however I would like to know the reason BEHIND The actions. Hunters spend something like 1 million dollars a minute on their sport and booked hunts. A local economy isn't going to throw that away.

The one in Nevada makes perfect sense to me... when you are shooting high power rifles (which can travel over 2 miles+) and there are houses out that way there is an issue. I am still amazed that these places have "open recreational shooting" as in go wherever you want and shoot at what you see.

Put in a freaking safe shooting range with a couple of benches and make rec shooting there only.

The Anti's are a bunch of bastards but a LOT of the issues that we are in are caused by our own being stupid and not respecting what is there. As responsible hunters, archers, and gun owners we are already fighting an uphill battle to protect our freedoms and our own are the ones on top pouring the oil down the hill.

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

my guess is little to nothing to be honest... but they may have had time to run away. it took the combined power of 3 super powers to contain Germany and even then it took years. The only reason we won is because of the production capability of the United States and the size of Germany.

If China had the production power of Germany and the population of China there is no way we would have won without 5 or 6 of the good ones and that probably wouldn't have stopped them.

That being said the whole idea of an "armed milita" is a great idea but it is pointless. The population would be decimated if they decided to rise up against the government. Waco is a great example of what happens to armed citizens who attempt to stand up to the big boys... and that was only the feds, there was no military there.

AT this point The "Armed Militia" is just trying to protect itself from those that decide they don't like the laws but are still citizens. Would I fight if somone invaded our shores? without a seconds hesitation, do I think it will ever happen? No.

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I agree..I don't think we will ever see a frontal assault on our shores...But small terrorist attacks are entirely possible...and one thing we americans love to do is believe we are untouchable...and not give up any of our conveniences for the sake of national security...

I'm ready and willing to defend if needed, but the big thing is dilligence we need to pay more attention to our surroundings...

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

you mean those 11+ million illegal immigrants that just walk across the desert? NAH they are okay!

I highly doubt there will be a terrorist attack using small arms in the US, well more so then we already have by the gangs and drug dealers that is. If the terrorists are going to do something its going to be bigger then a sniper in a bell tower.

11. Holy Smokes

Give me Liberty or give me death! HS

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Hey...It only took 7 men and 4 planes hit us hard...or 2 guys and a van full of fertilizer...and a good sniper can do alot of damage...
    as far as the Mexicans they just want to sqeeze us out...not kill us
    they figure if they wreck our country like they wrecked their's we'll leave...:doh:

13. Holy Smokes

I hope it is as harmless as that.
    could there be a undercurent to get a division of cultures and then a rucusk and a race war and when tha blood is thick for em to step in and say OK boys give us your guns.
    It's a thought> I will love everybody and not be a part of anybodys designs to divide us> HS