Field dressing turkeys

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by MTColl28734, Apr 17, 2008.

1. MTColl28734

MTColl28734 New Member

Anybody know of a good source that shows how to field dress a turkey? The sites I've been to are either text only or have drawings that leave a lot to be desired.

On the same subject, my main hunting buddy claims that the only edible part of the Eastern turkeys we get here in western NC is the breast. Seems like a terrible waste.

2. SinGin

SinGin Banned

He maybe right about the breast. I know the legs can get a little wirery

3. BOWTECHER

BOWTECHER Member

Most guys I hunt with just cut out the breasts as well.:noidea:

4. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

We take out the breast and the legs...the game wardens would get you if they found your bird with the legs still attached and only the breast out. Even though there is no decent meat on the legs :noidea:

5. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I'm more worried about getting one on the ground. If by a small miracle I do, I'll worry about gutting him then. I usually eat the feathers. Not the long tail feathers but the little ones on their undercarriage.

6. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

Ive cooked them every way possible..On older birds I breast them out and cut off the legs then commence to making jerky..On a jake I'll deep fry them..But thats it.. :noidea: :noidea:

7. UPSTATE

UPSTATE Member

Filet and slice the breast for grilled or breaded then pan fried sandwiches with lettuce and mayo. Then take the remainder of carcass and make a hearty soup to die for. Use a chicken soup recipe. Wild turkey soup is the bomb.