Finally...a good buck with my bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Hook Em, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I finally scored!! But first I will tell you the bad story that happened....

So I hunted pretty much every day this week for hours and hours...I saw a lot of good bucks a week ago when I was there so I was very optimistic about taking my first really good buck with a bow (to date there have been many many does and a couple spikes). Much to my suprise the bucks where NOWHERE to be found this week. They were taking much interest in the ladies and were staying hidden for the most part. Tuesday afternoon my daughter said she wanted to go sit with me in the double bull so I was excited about that. We saw a few young bucks and zero does until around 5 p.m. Then a 9 pointer came in that I had tried to take the week before but he was very stubborn and just didn't want to give me a shot for some reason. Well this sitting would be the same because I drew on him twice only to have him swing away from me and just keep walking. I could have taken a shot with him quartering hard towards me, but with my girl there I didn't want to chance it so I was going to wait for a better one, which he never gave me on Tuesday. Wednesday we were definately coming back there to see if he would show up!

Well he did, but was being even more stubborn than before. I mean the wind was in our face and we were wearing black with the windows closed behind us. I think he had x-ray vision.... anyway he finally made a mistake after I drew on him for the 5th time. He walked away but turned broadside looking away from me at 30 yds. Since he was so skittish I put my 30 pin just behind the shoulder and let her fly....that is when I saw something strange..looked like the arrow hit the shoulder and bounced straight back. I was muy unhappy to say the least, but that boy didn't drop an inch...at 30 yds, I knew I would get a little string jump....NOT. Anyway, I love slick tricks and will continue to use them, but this was something I had never seen before....check out what my arrow looked like when I went and got it. Needless to say, there was no blood but he won't make it through any metal detectors!

Now my next post will be the success

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. Hook Em

So now it is Friday morning and all the bucks that I saw the week before are not coming near any of my stands. I am getting bummed out big time but alas, I continue to hunt. I get in the stand about 5:45 and sit there for 2 hours watching some 2 yr olds try to run does and eat and then run some more and eat some more, etc.... Just when I thought I was not going to see a mature buck on this trip (weather was going to get bad starting today..which it did) in he walks. He is chasing every deer he sees to my right, but behind mesquite trees so I can barely see him. I am sitting up in my seat, heart already pumping because I know this is the one I will take if I just get a chance. I say a prayer or 5 that I just get an opportunity and I wouldn't screw this one up...He then runs to my left out of site up the hill and I get bummed again. A few minutes later he comes strolling down from my left to my right and happens to stop slightly quartering towards me standing on a cow pie that I ranged than morning at 27.5 yards. The stars were perfectly aligned...the 12 does around me were all looking away. I draw and let it fly....gave him free air conditioning and he ran about 80 yds. Thank you Jesus! The wife can stop giving me grief.....at least this week Sorry so long, but I am stoked

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Nice Buck Congrats:peace:

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

SWEET DEER buddy!!!!!!

5. J.C.

J.C. New Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

6. Hook Em

thanks fellas....I was very excited. I knew I made a good shot and when he was gone, I saw my arrow laying on the ground about 10 yards behind where he was and it was a nice shade of red :biggrin1:

7. bullfiddle

That deer you shot with that first pic must have had a kevlar vest on....:noidea:

8. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

That is one sweet buck. Big Buck Down!!!!! Congrats. I am guessing the score is 150 to mid 150's, at least. Not that a score matters, it will darn good on the wall.

9. Hook Em

that was weird....where I hit him, it should have blown through that shoulder and into his ticker!!!! I was mostly bummed cause I wanted to get him with my daughter....we specifically went that second day to hunt THAT deer and he actually showed up! It is his own fault he now has a severe limp!!

10. bullfiddle

Just look at it this way next year he'll be a little slower and a little bigger...:peace:

11. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

Nice Buck My man, and you even got the Posten in the pic...

This looks like a good pic for the staff shooter page:peace:

Congrats:usa:

Now send some of the Hunting Mojo my way would ya?

JIM

12. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Whoooooweeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great Buck Hook I'd put that un on tha wall.:biggrin1:
    Now what ya gonna do ?

13. Hook Em

Well I am going to Euro mount him and I alread have the spot picked out. As far as what I am gonna do now.....well my freezer is full and my buck is shot. Now I have one more trip to South Texas to hunt for another buck and then it is back to the hill country to shoot does for the hungry folks of Texas :rockon:

14. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

What a man
    feedin' tha hungry.:peace:

15. Hook Em

I got one that shows the Posten a little better for ya Jim...

16. Radar

Radar Story of my life

Thats one heck of a deer. Always nice to have a story too:biggrin1:

17. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

That's awesome hook! :thumb:

Congrats!

I cant believe that first arrow. Very strange.

rick

18. Hook Em

That is what I thought...I just stood there staring at the arrow and scratching my head for about 10 minutes. If there wasn't that little bit of blood on the arrow, I would have just assumed I hit a rock or something (even though I saw it hit him in the shoulder and bounce back) :noidea: He was a beautiful tall 9 pointer and I will hunt him again in a few weeks to make sure he is ok. My daughter and I still walked in the direction he ran for a bit just to see if we could find any signs, but there wasn't a speck of anything to be found.

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Sweet buck Hook, congrats.

Ron

20. dano1977

dano1977 Senior Member

nice one! Congrats!