finding a hung stand in tha dark

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Holy Smokes, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I have been puttin' a piece of reflective strips on my stand about 1'' wide and 3" long
    one on each side
    oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

Reflective tacks along your tail also helps getting to the stand.

3. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I use a small piece of orange flagging tape to lead me to my stands.

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I can always find my stand in the dark guaranteed no second thoughts, no worrying. I have the best method out there.

I don't trust anyone in my area anymore and never leave my stand out so in the dark its either on my back or in my truck. :laugh:

For finding the tree to put it up in a few years ago we got a box of pyramid reflective tacks that are awesome. they light up from any angle and you can use them as directional pointers as well depending on shat side of the tree you put them in.

They work very well and are hard to see in daylight. I highly recommend them.

5. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Last year.. I ended up getting lost 10 feet from my stand. The place I was hunting was logged earlier that year so everything looked different. Up untill than, I was making fun of people like me :noidea:

I got turned around a few dozen times, had a trail camera blind me a few times. Not sure where the pictures went and hate to find out where they will show up???

This year the guys got me one of those remote lights that go on the stand so I can find it. They got it as a joke, but I think I might try it!

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Mine is easy to find since I carry it on my back...

Ron

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Just follow the smell of your bait pile... the trails are wide enough for a truck! how can you get lost?

8. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I actually hunt in Berks county... never hunted at the club, but may do it this year.

9. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Let me know how that light clicker thing works, I've been intrigued by it!

Ben

10. J.A.G.

J.A.G. Senior Member

i've used the tacks.. but now i use my gps.

11. vonottoexperience

vonottoexperience Senior Member

I use "cats eyes". I'll snap a glow stick and hang it, if I hunt it in the afternoon and I'm coming back in the morning.

12. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I use tha tacks to and then some on tha stand.
    I also amde me a lockin'system out of small cable and lock it to tha tree

I also leave other folks stuff alone and ya reap what ya sow.

I could have taken 30 or so stands,

13. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Never had trouble findin my stand or blind. But now since you have all brought it up I'll probably need something this year.:doh:

14. georgiaboy83

georgiaboy83 Junior Member

Well I use the tacks as well, but I learned a trick about putting them out. I put mine just above the ground cover 6 to 8 inches. This way traspasers, and others like club memebers can't find my stand easily. Most people put them around 40 inches or so. But putting them down low allows you to walkin to your stand with out lifting your light up.:cool:

15. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

blaze a small trail:biggrin1:

16. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

I got a strobe that has a remote. I hang it from a hook high in the tree. I walk down the appropriate trail, and when I get close I hit the button. Light comes on, and I know exactly where the stand is. I still mark a trail, but this shows me exactly where the tree is even on the darkest mornings.

17. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I bought a remote light from Hunters Specialty's last year. Its a bright little red light you put on your stand. and will work from about 100 yds. helped me out 3 times last year.

18. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Mine's similar. Does yours flash?

19. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Yes. It has 2 modes. On all the time. And flashing. Best $25.00 I have spent in awhile.

20. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Helps find ATVs and vehicles after the hunt too. And mark a place on a road to enter. Agreed. Money very well spent. My friends are jealous, but most would never admit it.