First big game bow kill

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by bullspotter, Jan 28, 2007.

1. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Ok so lets hear some storys here, what was every ones first BIG GAME bow kill, rabbits tree rats wood chucks, cats dogs are not big game... lol heres mine, was a whity doe, was 14 years old, was my first time in a tree stand also, shot her with a pse pulsar, and used a rocky mountain head, I saw the arrow nail home perfict, ill tell ya i was clibling out of the tree so fast i dont know how i didnt fall, and ran to where she was when i shot her, their was blood everywhare, i was so excited i just couldnt wait, even though i knew better, but i found here pry 40 or so yards away on the edge of the corn feild. ill tell ya i was pretty proud!!! I got her to the truck by myself well before dark, and the hardest part was waiting for my dad and our freind to return from their i could show them my deer, was only a doe but to me it was pretty special.... lets here some others here guys!!! oppps and ladys!!
  2. garinshaw

garinshaw Junior Member

First Bow Kill

This was my first Kansas buck and first bowkill. I started bowhunting in 2004 strictly for the purpose of hunting during the rut and taking a true trophy whitetail. I wasn't interested in anything else. In three years of hunting I passed on more bucks than I have fingers and toes to count. A couple of real nice 3 1/2 year olds this year (the result of not shooting), but I was only interested in a 4 or 5 year old.

I hunted hard. I drove 3 hours round trip to hunt this place. It was $25 a trip in gas and everyone told me I was crazy ...........................but I'd seen him after dark in early October.

Walking out of a ground blind setup at dark one night in early Ocober I bumped him, lightly. He trotted about 15 yards up onto a terrace and stopped. He stood boadside at about 40 yards and looked toward me. I will never forget the picture in my minds eye of that big old whitetail standing on a rise with the sun setting a blaze of orange across the horizon behind him.........I could see his mass and all the character points....this was a shooter.......after shooting light. I stood as he slowly walked away..............and right toward one of my treestands no more than 80 yards away. I knew that night (as I walked out an hour later) that I hadn't pushed him hard, and it now would be a matter of being in that stand at the right time.

The right time was 7:15 a.m. on the Friday after Thanksgiving. He came in quiet and I didn't hear him until he was right below me (slightly behind me and to my right) He passed my tree and took a left onto the trail in front of me. I was on autopilot from the moment I saw him. Stuck him at 6 yards. He took 2 steps and fell. He never got up.

This was my first bowkill. But I'd like to add that I have had 3 very successful seasons bowhunting and 2006 was a great year long before I shot this buck.........let 'em grow.

3. TnRidge

TnRidge Member

My first bowkill was back in 1981 . I shot a small 3pt. buck in Michigan ,but it was a trophy to me back then . I had only been hunting for a year , and was using a Jennings Sidekick 55lb. compound , Easton 2117's , and Bear Razorheads .
    It was the start of my obssession with bowhunting . I now hunt exclusivly with a bow through gun season as well as the bowseason .
  4. mdewitt71

mdewitt71 Senior Member

I have killed small critters but nothing to put up on the walls yet.
    I am now stationed in Kansas so hopefully I will get a deer season in where I am not deployed to bag me a fine KS Buck one day.
    This year will be spent in Iraq once again but I look forward to the 2008 deer season.....I saw alot of fine KS bucks since I have been here.
  5. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

My first bowkill was a button buck during early October many years ago. I walked into the timber and kicked up a few deer. I decided to just sit on a downed tree and this button came back after I had spooked him. He came in to about 25 yards and was looking at me the entire time. I grunted at him and he'd walk a little closer. I think he was somebody's pet. He was not spooked at all. After he watched me draw back I put the arrow from my Fred Bear Whitetail through his heart. He went down 30 yards later. A great trophy for my first whitetail with a bow.