First bow kill

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by scottg, Oct 30, 2007.

1. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

here is my oldest sons first bow kill. I will start the story with him getting his bow just a few months ago. He only had a couple of months to practice before bow season.

This last weekend was the youth hunt at our hunting club. David knew that he could not gun hunt because he is 16 now. His younger brother and sister were going to be gun hunting. David was kind of down due to him having to wait untill all of the kids drew their stands before he could sign in. Feeling bad for him, I told him to go to my stand, there would be no one hunting that area for the youth hunt. I have a pretty good bow stand set up 20' off the ground on the side of a hill. Looking down the hill to the mineral block is a measured 30 yards from the base of my tree. I know that seems like a far shot, but we pratice at 30 and 40 more than we do at 20 yards. Back to the story David was in the stand and at 8:45 a doe came out and went right to the mineral lick. He grabbed his bow and began to draw back on her, then at mid draw, the doe looked at him. He eased the bow down and she turned back to the mineral lick. He drew his bow back and let her fly. He said "dad, she just stood there untill the blood started pouring out of the holes". David made a great 30 yard shot just under the back bone to the rear of the deer. The Rage 3 blade did one heck of a job on her. Complete passthrough. You can see the bloody arrow in his quiver. I could not beleive the entrance hole and the exit hole. She ran 50 yards and crashed. Ray Charles could have followed that blood trail. I have never seen that much blood on a trail ever. I went down there after David and a friend came out with the deer. (I was in a stand with my daughter when he shot his doe). David said that instead of walking the blood trail through the briars, they walked the easy path and could see the blood from 15 to 20 feet off the trail.

Here is a pic of his 120 lb doe. :peace: :peace: :peace:

The kids on the youth hunt, 24 of them killed a total of 15 deer this past weekend. That is the best that we have ever done on a youth hunt.

David is shooting a Bowteh Tomkat 30" @ 64 lbs.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. compoundxx75

compoundxx75 Member

congradulations. nice doe

3. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

how much property do the 24 of them hunt? :noidea: also got any more pics? i wanna see those wounds

4. Werd

Werd Senior Member

nice deer. congrats on the first kill. if i can ask, how do you like that tomkat? ive always looked at them and wanted one. never had that kind of money tho

5. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

That's a nice doe.........It only get's better from here on out David. Keep shootin and enjoy that deer.

6. I missed

I missed Senior Member

what broad head? how far did it go?:hippie:

7. Werd

Werd Senior Member

The Rage 3 blade did one heck of a job on her. Complete passthrough. You can see the bloody arrow in his quiver. I could not beleive the entrance hole and the exit hole. She ran 50 yards and crashed. <<<in the story

8. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

We hunt on 4600 acres of mixed land. There are pine clear cuts, big power line right of ways and a river bottom.

I was not on camera duty that morning and the deer was skinned before we could get some pics, but I still have it hanging in the cooler. I will get some pics of the holes. One blade went trhough a rib and never checked up. The entrance wound was larger than the exit. I will post pics of them soon.

PS, the tomkat is a sweet little bow. Tomkat is bowtechs package bow and I can sat that it shoots right with my Tribute.

9. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Congrats to you both!!!