First Muzzleloader Harvest

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by tnts79, Nov 17, 2007.

1. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Friday morning my brother and I had 3 does come in about 7 am. We harvested the biggest two. First year gun hunting, saw some nice bucks today, I missed a really nice 9 or 10 this morning 140"-150":doh: Still don't know how I missed 60 yard shot and nothing:noidea: We watched that buck for over 4 hours bedded down with a doe in the field. I saw it try to mount the doe it was bedded with, first time I have ever seen that.:rockon: We looked for blood, hair, tracks for about 2 hours after we got down around 10 and didn't find a thing.:Cry: Better to miss than to wound a really nice deer, mabey I will get lucky enough to see him again. My brothers doe weighed in at 140 and mine was 120 dressed!:rockon:

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Good Job!!! Why are your guns pointing at you :doh: :eek:

3. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

The gun in the bottom picture is not a smoke pole. But those are some nice does. Where I live a 120 lb live on the hoof is a good doe.

4. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

Nice deer! congrats!

5. greenhorn100

greenhorn100 Junior Member

I was wondering the same thing!! my 13 year old knows better then that even if the gun is unloaded treat the guns as they ware loaded
    nice deer

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Great job those are some nice does. CONGRATS.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

HE NEVER said that both of them were MUZZLELOADER kills, just that this was HIS FIRST SMOKEPOLE harvest.....and he did say gun season.....:noidea: :noidea:

8. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Both guns are unloaded and they are actually angled behind us, if you look closely you can see that! Thanks for your input, mabey your 13 year old can come along next time and hold the guns for the pictures.:noidea: I shoot a CVA Optima, and my brother shoots an 870 with a boyds stock and a hastings barrel.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I was going to comment on the people asking about the guns pointed at you but, looking at the pics, I can tell they are angled away and behind you.....:noidea:

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and by the way, the slug gun looks awsome, the BOYDS stock's are really awsome.......

I have one on my .17hmr and am thinking of putting one on my 870:rockon:

11. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Oh well, yeah Todd really likes the thumbhole stock. That gun really shoots, 1.5" groups with Remington core lokt ultras at 125 yards. It kicks like a mule, but adding the Limbsaver pad made a tremendous difference.:rockon: Still can't get that buck out of my head, hopefully I can get some pictures of him either on my trail cam or my digital if I find him tonight. His 2's and 3's were over 10", awesome long mainbeams that wraped around(mabey 3" or 4" between the tips), not a huge spread mabey 17"-18". A beautiful buck, that I mucked up:frusty: :Cry:

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

its called buck fever bubba.......it happens to everyone......at one time or another......

13. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I wasn't even nervous, it happened so fast I didn't have time to be nervous. Shouldered, held, it was steady, right behind the shoulder and squeeze and then nothing but kick and smoke. I just need some conclusive proof, that I hit or missed!:noidea: Either a trail cam pic in the next couple days, a phone call from Nevin or finding some blood tonight when we hit the creeks.

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

so you looked but didnt find any blood.......I had to go back and read the story, I forgot you even had shot at a buck.....:dizzy: :D

this will nag you for a long time to come......if it didnt you wouldnt be a HUNTER......you would be a KILLER......

I had a run in w/a huge buck 2 years ago, thanksgiving.......hit him in the chest and he layed in front of me for 10 minuets then got up and was never to be seen again.....( he was in very heavy brush and I couldnt get a shot at him).....it sucks and still bothers me too this day......

15. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Found his tracks and followed them for about 100 yards into the field not a drop of blood, fur, NOTHING! Watched him bed down for over 4 hours in the field with a doe, then when we got down to go eat lunch we saw him mount her twice but she ran out from under him both times. Just the uncertainty is what bothers me the most, I just want some confirmation.

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

so you saw him TRY to breed her twice after you took the shot????

17. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Yeah, 4 hours later. It was odd, he would get up move about 2 feet lay back down. And kept licking the area I thought I saw him bleeding from. I was using my 10x50 binos and it looked like blood on his left side, which would have been the exit wound right infront of his left rear leg. He laid his head down a few times, and the doe was bedded with him the entire time. Now if I hit that buck and he was still trying to breed, that just blows my mind, but I am not going to give up looking for him until I get some proof.

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and you couldnt get close enough to get a second shot at him???

19. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Not through a chisled cornfield, those two would have spotted me for sure. I figured we could just wait him out.:noidea:

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

if he was that interested in the doe, you probabaly could have belly crawled to him, but thats hindsight.....well, at least you saw deer.....