Fish batter, which kind?

Discussion in 'Wild Game Recipes' started by Chris, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I had someone give me some fresh walleye. Anyone have a good fish batter recipe?

2. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

I start with Drake's crispy fry mix, then add lemon pepper, black pepper, salt, italian seasoning, and a couple other spices that I can not disclose...:tape:

Enjoy your walleye!

3. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

i like using cajun flavored shore lunch mix with walleye....mmm mmmm good!

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, I'll second that one.
    Shore lunch has some good ones. I like the Italian style too, but I substitute beer when I mix it.

Ron

5. RiverRob

RiverRob Green Mtn. bound

When I fry up pike I roll it in flour, salt and pepper and it comes out really good, but i dont like "wet" batters.

6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha chris

I use a rub on walleye but if u want a breader mix i use House of autry seafood breader mix but add some salt and pepper for better taste:wave:

7. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

That is VERY close to what I do.:tape: There isn't a better way to do it!:rockon:

8. phillip

phillip Hog wild

Best fish fry mix ever

Zaterans fish fry ( lemon added ), also zaterans cajun fish fry.
    These are two of the best I have ever used.
    If you can find it, you will thank me later. Enjoy your fish:D :D

9. jschulz

jschulz New Member

Dip fillets in an egg wash, then in Ritz crackers finely crushed into a powder, then deep fry. MMMMMMMM!!!!!!

10. camoham

camoham Junior Member

used to use 'drakes' fish fry. pretty good. kinda on the fluffy side but good.

we really like the Zatarain's (they make gumbo mixes, dirty rice, red beans and rice, etc) 'southern' fish fry.

thats top shelf there.

im ready to flyfish for som 'gills about now, thanx for making me hungry.

camoham

11. eldermike

eldermike Off the shelf

Pour some whole milk into a bowl, break an egg in it and beat it until mixed. Get a bag of potato chips and crush it until it's almost powder. Dip the fish in the milk and throw them in the bag. Shake and bake and you got fish and chips.

12. bwiz

bwiz New Member

Drake's has been my choice for years.

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I know I posted a reply to this a long time ago ut now it's back and I have another suggestion.

I get a fish seasoning from TPC Cash and Carry. It's just called 'Fried Fish Seasoning'....

It's scary good.

I just rinse the fish and shake it in a bag with the seasoning and dump in the fryer....

That stuff is the nuts.... I just don't know where TPC has stores and if that's just Mid-West thing or not.

Ron

14. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

For Walleye I use Flour, Salt and pepper. I use drakes as well from time to time. Dry,never wet.

15. slow-bow

slow-bow I have a slow bow

"Andy's"...white or yellow. both are great "store-bought" batters. Wonderful on catfish. I'm not a fish-eater but, will eat a bit if it's done w/ Andy's.

16. Hummel

Hummel New Member

I'm a big fan of Jiffy corn meal for the gills. It makes a nice and sweet breading. Breaded blue gills and a miller lite is hard to beat.

17. grizz49

grizz49 Old Archer

Don't Tell A Soul!

Get a medium size bowl, put 4 tablespoons of Hellmans Mayo in 3oz's of lemon juice, 3 eggs, black pepperhalf tsp, 2tablespoons of parsley flakes. you can add a little milk here if needed. Rinse the fillets, after mixing up that list add the fillets and put the whole works in the freezer uncovered. Here is your dry mix, 2 cups flour and 1 cup Progresso bread crumbs. I use a bag to coat them. Now get the rest of the dinner going salad, fries etc, 45 min later pull them out. Use a large skillet with peanut Oil. Take fillet to the bag with the mixture of flour and bread crumbs, shake and then put in hot pan, flip once light brown on both sides, dont over cook! Again don't tell anyone!

18. 48down

48down New Member

Southern Style

Corn meal, a smidge of flour, salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning.

19. roosevelt

roosevelt Junior Member

that's real close to what i do. dip the fillet in water, then flour, then egg wash, then cracker crumbs........got the recipe from a local restaraunt that has the best fish and chips around, i like this recipe because it is a nice light breading and doesn't seem to soak up the oil like many.....enjoy

20. MTColl28734

MTColl28734 New Member

Something different

Try substituting Panko for any breading recipe, at least for fish. You can find it in the Asian section of any grocery store (if I can get it here, you can get it anywhere). It's really light, so the flavor of the fish can take center stage, but you still get a nice crispy coating.