Fixed broadheads and speed.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Soilarch, May 20, 2007.

1. Soilarch

Soilarch Junior Member

At what speed do most of you feel that fixed broadheads become troublesome?
    I've heard as low as 270 and as high as 300. I'm looking at getting a new (actually it'll probably end up being used) setup this summer and would like to graduate from my trusty muzzys and thunderheads to something like a snuffer/phathead/stinger/hellrazor/classic bears.

I'll going to move up to 70# so reaching that 300 mark is a possibility. But I would like to settle on a target speed so I can build an arrow of appropriate weight and FOC

Thanks.

2. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

speed!

Ive seen problems as low as 250 if there not tuned right.
    Thats one of the reasons i went to mechinical's a long time ago.
    My arrows shoot like dart's at any speed, but if i put a thunderhead or muzzy,which i like for fixed blades,without tuning i might get 1 out of 6 to fly the same way!:biggrin1:

3. acokedrinker

acokedrinker Junior Member

Keep the Muzzys

I say keep them muzzys

4. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

:amen: I fell a lot safer with a fixed head as there can be some foul ups with a mechanical one. I'd hate ta shoot a big un' and tha thing foul up.

It is worth tha effort ta tune em . not a hard process.

5. Soilarch

Soilarch Junior Member

No no no, you fellas got me all wrong!! Honest!

I'm not moving to mechs. I have no complaints with the muzzy or thunderheads (well, the 4 blade muzzy's would fly as well as the 3 blades). But I'd like to move to a true Cut On Contact head like some of the more traditional designs.

6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

>>rockets<<

Smokes, try rocket-hamerhead you will be pleased.
    I havent lost a buck big or small in 6years since ive been using them.
    Heres one my biggest in 06
    28yds stopped in his tracks backed up 5yds & flipped over on his back!:biggrin1:

7. Holy Smokes

Hey Hey nice buck Kbo. What did he fall backerds for --looks like ya shot em in tha hams. or did it go thru and come out there>

8. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Sorry guy!

Lead cutting edge broadheads are always better for pentitration,thats why recurve shooters use them they dont have the punch power of the compound.
    Will they plain worse yes at high speed
    Also if you switch to 4-blade your gonna cut down on your penitration
    Plaining problems 3 blade or 4 blade not much difference!:peace:

9. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

hams?

Check out The hole on his front sholder.
    The arrow went in didnt open until it hit his sholder & came out the other side with a 5inch gash.
    This pic was wright after i gutted him,& dragged him back to the truck.
    It hit him so hard it sounded like shootin ply-wood.
    I never seen a broadhead take the wheels off a buck like this shot.:biggrin1:

10. Holy Smokes

Which way was tha buck quartering from ya or towards ya.

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Buck?

He was quartering toward me a little.
    I was on the ground with my climber walkin back to the truck
    He was runnin a doe.
    It was the last week in october.
    Heres another one smaller 6pt i got tired of watchin
    He came into my food plot 5 days in a row & i desided to take him
    the day before powder season came in,someone in my huntclub would have got him,weve got 20powder hunters that shoot everything!
    Anyway this is the last one i got on the last day of the season 06:biggrin1:
    Nice little buck!

12. Holy Smokes

I ahve a tech question on food plots. Are they considered baitin' Just curious. In Va I wonder in Tn. Since I live 1 mile from Va I hunt both.

13. Soilarch

Soilarch Junior Member

HIJACK POLICE!!!

HIJACK POLICE!!!

HIJACK POLICE!!!

LoL, nah...its alright...that's the way these things go. I'll tell you this though, I've seen that exact question go for 20+ pages on some other boards.

I don't consider them baiting...and I won't get into why unless you start a new thread:D

14. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

plots

In VA you can plant anything & hunt over it.
    You cant put feed down,all miniral blocks,corn,salt licks have to be gone by opening day.
    Ive got 2 plots with bio-logic greenpatch & imperial whitetail clover planted & added a salt lick & 3 miniral blocks
    By hunting season they will be eaten up when i check before season start's:biggrin1: But they will draw the deer in now thats what you want!

15. Scablands

Scablands Member

Last year I was shooting 100 gr. Montecs at 285-290 fps. no problems.
    [​IMG]
    Mechanicals are illegal to shoot in Wash.

16. red44

red44 Senior Member

I can't see what speed has to do with it, sorry. If the arrows are spined right, ends squared, sufficiant fletching and a tuned bow, why would speed alone make a difference?

17. Soilarch

Soilarch Junior Member

Speed by itself doesn't matter...but my understanding is that if there are any flaws with the things you mentioned above they will become more and more apparent with higher and higher speeds. In a sense, the margin for error is eliminated.

18. red44

red44 Senior Member

I can see that, like having a combo of long draw lenth/short BH and harsh cam(s). Everything would have to be spot on, and pretty decent form too. Just for giggles I shot a few old 4 blade heads I have from (gulp) 20 years ago, the things are as big or bigger than the blazers on the other end. Other than dropping a bit, they hit down the middle, but from a bow that has never been confused with with a speed bow.:biggrin1:

19. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Looks like they are the not the only ones who shoot everything. :noidea: J/K I have that problem too, although I am getting better at letting them go.

20. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

I use a Montec G5 and shoot 272 with Axis Full metal jacket arrows and shoots the same as my target points