fixed or mechanical

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by kbohunt, Mar 17, 2007.

1. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

IM going bowhuntin larger deer than i have in the past.
    the biggest ive shot with mechanical was 180lb's
    will this matter on 200-300lb.deer if one that size comes along.

I switched to titan's for hog but i dont want to switch on this deer hunt.:biggrin1:

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I don't think it will matter if they are performing well on 180lb deer. I always hunt with Muzzy's so I've had no real hunting experience with expandables. Good luck :peace:

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

shot placement w/a razor sharp broadhead is more important than which broadhead you choose....

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

shot placement

I agree with shot placement.
    my issue is that every deer ive shot in the past 5 year's was killed with mech.broadhead's they hit harder & the deer didnt travel less than 50yd's but the broadheads didnt pass-thru unless they were about 20yds or less.
    will this be a problem on a deer with more mass.say 250lb's
    the last one i shot worried me the rocket only went in to the far side sholder but put a 5in.wound behind his front sholder of a 188lb at 32yd's.

5. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

If you have a faster setup with some good kinetic energy expandables will work fine. I started using the new rages this past season and was amazed with entrance and exit holes and the great blood trails. The deer didn't go far either. I also shot one with a spitfire xp and had very similar results. they're practically the same head they just open differently.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

when in doubt shoot Muzzy

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I shoot Muzzy. I've used expandables in the past and was never really impressed compared to what happens with a Muzzy.

When the only thing preventing a full pass through on a quartering away shot is the front leg (which was shattered) I think they got something there :)

STAY AWAY FROM AMERICAN BROADHEADS!!!

8. QDAWG44

QDAWG44 Junior Member

I shot Wasp jackhammers for years, with great results. A very tuff mechanical head with great accuracy. Lately though, I have only recieved 6 inch. of penatration . I will be trying Slick Tricks this year !!!!! go with a fixed, just make sure your bw is properly tuned

9. MdBowhunter

MdBowhunter Member

G5 Tekan II's will work great!!!!

10. UPSTATE

UPSTATE Member

I'm a big fan of the Rocket Swidewinder.Killed about 10 or 15 deer with them - no problems. I used the miniblaster for quite a few years and shot a lot of deer with them eventually changed for the extra weight ,better tip and thicker blades. 1 3/4 inch cutting diameter left some unbelievable blood trails and huge holes.

11. cornbread542

cornbread542 Junior Member

Kinetic energy and a quality expandable is key to good performance. I like Rockets or Grim Reapers.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007