fletching arrows

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by redneckbowhunter, Nov 29, 2007.

1. redneckbowhunter

redneckbowhunter Junior Member

I am going to try and start fletching my own arrows and i was wondering if a right helical fletch with 2 inch blazer vanes would do good with a QAD fall-away rest and rage expandable broadheads. thanks

2. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

alot guys are using this combo. I have tried blazers and have gone back to duravanes. Blazers are too stiff and the hi-profile can cause clearance challenges. If you have ever seen slo mo photography and seen an arrow get shot from a bow. you can see the arrow ocsillate dramitcally and then straighten out in flight after going several feet. My theory is a soft vane steers...like...well a vane. Blazers arent vanes, theyre more like fins. Its like steering a car slowly,smoothly and gently too steering it hard and more radically. I believe more flexible vanes have a more forgiving nature.Its a fact feathers accomplish this the fastest. Feathers and most vanes hsve give,flexibility, softness. Blazers are like the fins on a dart.....just my opinion.

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Depends on the arrow diameter actually.
    If you're using a slim arrow like an Easton Axis, doing a helical with a stiff vane like a Blazer is a tough thing to do. I use a straight fletch with about a 3-4 degree offset. I use Blazers on Easton Axis arrows with a NAP QT 4000 drop away and I don't have any clearance issues. I was never able to successfully do a helical with Blazers on those Axis arrows without having one of the ends of the vane come un-glued at some point....

Ron

4. redneckbowhunter

i shoot carbon force X-weave predetor 300 shafts, the most accurate and durable shafts i have ever shot

5. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

well.... you'll need to look forward to shooting some ACC's in the future

6. redneckbowhunter

what is the difference, why will i need to switch,and who makes a ACC