Fletching Question

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Cloverwolf, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Cloverwolf

Cloverwolf New Member

What's the best way to completely remove old, broken feathers or vanes from arrows, including removing the glue remnants and preparing the shaft for re-fletching?

2. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Utility knife or razor blade is what I use. When I used 4" vanes for 3D, I actually had to leave a little glue residue to make the fletchings stick a little better using Fatboys.

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Like he said but after you scrape the bulk of teh vane off the shaft just lightly run the blade down the shaft and teh rest of the glue will just come off. Let the blade's weight do the work while you rotate the shaft and clean it off. Then use a scotch brite pad and rub the end of the shaft to get the tiny bit of remaining glue off. Then rub the end of the shaft with acetone, but don;t get teh acetone on the nocks since it could harm the plastic. Instead of acetone you could also use denatured alcohol, which will not damage nocks.

Ron

4. red44

red44 Senior Member

I guess I do similar. Rough cut the bulk off, then scrape with a knife blade @ 90 degrees or use a potato peeler to get down to the shaft. Acetone rag or scotch-pad or extra fine steel wool w/acetone to get the glue residue. Then a final wipe with denatured alcohol.

5. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I sometimes lightly sand the carbon shaft to get the rest of the glue off after I use a scraper. It is very fine grit sandpaper. and then use some acetone to clean the shaft. Is this a bad idea??

6. red44

red44 Senior Member

Acetone is fine as long as your not soaking them. It works good for softening the vane base scraps and cement like fletch-tite. But it can leave a residue. The denatured alcohol is about as good as it gets for a last wpie down.

7. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

I hate acetone because it takes so long to vaporize off an object. Denatured alcohol is a good idea when glueing ANYTHING together, not just fletchings. It'll realy make epoxies stick!

8. Cloverwolf

Cloverwolf New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, all. I really appreciate it. :)

9. fstgstdsmpay

fstgstdsmpay Adam of Archery Outfitter

I use a zip strip for the last 3 years which cleans up the shaft very well. I also use acetone just to clean up the shafts.

10. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I got tired of scrapping with a knife and maybe ruining a shaft. went to wraps and got rid of all those problems. heat with a hair dryer and peel off. the only fault to this is most times you have to change all 3 fletching if one goes bad

11. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

i use a razor knife thats had the same blade in it for over 6 years . after
    1000s of arrows you kind of learn on just what angle to use and how much pressure to apply. second worst part of my business just above house cleaning . would not use heat to do it myself on carbon. maybe on alluminum .