Fletching Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by trussoni, Mar 6, 2008.

1. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

I am all set to buy a fletching jig figured it would save me a lot of gas $$ not to mention the few bucks I spend every week fixing my arrows. Went over there to ebay to price some out and lo and behold I am not ready at all. I suppose this makes me look like an idiot but every time I have refletched my arrows its been like this. Drive 7 miles drop off arrows, leave, come back, pay and leave. Anyways long story short I am an idiot if you could please educate me it would be appreciated big time.

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

What do you want to know?
    I saw you have a thread about a jig...
    The Arizona EZ Fletch is a simple inexpensive and reliable option...
    The best choice is a Bitzenberger, but you can only fletch 1 vane at a time.

There are a couple books on arrow building that are helpful and Bohning has a complete set with every thing you need to get started...:noidea:
    Hope this helped alittle

3. red44

red44 Senior Member

Not a whole lot of help but IMO, if your going to be in the game for a long time, buy the best jig with all the fixins. Your only going to buy it once. I bought a grayling jig and a right and straight clamp a few years back to do a "few" arrows. Well, you find yourself doing alot of arrows before long, and wondering if you should'nt have bought the Bitz with everything. I wish I had. Not that the grayling does'nt work, but I keep wondering if the Bitz would be easier, or better, or faster, etc, etc.
    Well I'm editing because I want to say 2 things.
    One, the Grayling does work well if you go that route. For what I paid for it, it gives me a good fletch job. That being said...
    Two, The pattern I wanted to try is 4 fletch 60/120(I believe thats what it's called), which I think, only the Bitz will do. I know the Grayling won't. It will do a 4 fletch, but not 60/120.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  4. Rog

Rog New Member

Have to agree with brokenarrow. I use both. If I'm in a hurry, I use the arizona. If I have time, the Bitzenberger. More consistant.

5. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I got a cheap jig and regretted it. I then got a bitzenberger and I'm happy with it. I searched the net and found a wealth of info on finishing arrows. I found a cheap chop saw ( thirty dollars?) on ebay and it works great. It has no jig to gauge length, but I stay within an eighth inch just marking the spines with a pen. I'm not a world class archer so my groups aren't affected by an inch or so of arrow length differance. I cut my arrows an inch longer than needed so I can trim and refletch the arrows that get cracked from shooting the nocks. Shooting alot results in arrow damage even if I'm not an elite archer. I use bullet tip target points and blazer vanes. The blunter point reduced the number of nicked vanes and the blasers are shorter and less likely to get nicked as well. I don't get as many robin hoods with the bullet tips but the money I save by trimming and reusing arrows that are cracked instead of split means more to me than bragging rites. And last but not least, I get alot of enjoyment from building my own arrows. I hope you do too.

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Just can't beat a Bitz...........:rockon:

7. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

T i learned my lesson on buying the lesser expensive ones as well
    Got a bitz several yrs ago and never looked back
    it's top shelf
    quality perecsion work
    after all it is doing the guidence system for your arrows flight:cool:

8. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

The Bitz is top of the line for sure. But I have a BPE Pro Series and I have had it and used it for 14 years. It will do 3, 4, and 6 fletchings and is rock solid. Mine has the straight clamp but you can buy either left or right for $9.99 each. Kind a hard to bet $35.00 for a jig and clamp that has done as many arrows as it has and still going strong.

9. MTColl28734

MTColl28734 New Member

I'm really new to the sport, and I was REALLY new when I bought a Jo-Jan for about $30 at my local shop. It does OK, but it was a bitch to set up the right helical (but you only have to do it once). My main gripe with it is that it relies on gravity and the weight of the clamp to set the vane. I've found that if I press the clamp down for about 30 seconds it sets much better. It's not a big deal, but I wish I'd gone for a jig that has a magnet to hold the vane down. I'll stick with it until I've bought all the goodies I want for my bow (better arrows and a string tamer are next on the list).

10. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I got a grayling jig, about half the price of a bitz. I only fletch my own arrows and it has been fine. If you are going to fletch a bunch of arrows, I think it would be fine too but I have heard really good things about the Bitz, but not sure what it does that my Grayling doesn't.

11. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

not sure what it does either but a lot of guys smile when talking about them so it almost has to be either immoral or illegal or both. maybe i shouldve bought one come to think of it...

12. Bob4

Bob4 Junior Member

Would someone be kind enough to explain the left /right and straight clamps ?

Here to learn what I can.

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

For the Grayling and the Bitz the straight clamp is exactly what the description is: straight. You set the offset (angle of the vane/feather) using the jig where the clamp sets on the jig.

Left/Right refer to helical fletching. Helical is again exactly like the description: helical as in helix. It's not symetrical so if you want to do a left vs. right helical you need different clamps to do that.

Typically, most archers use an offset using the adjustment on the jig and do a 2 to 4 degree offset either left or right. Same jig and same clamp can do that. Some right handed archers like a right helical. Some left handed archers like a left helical. Some right hand archer like a left helical. Some left hand archers like a right helical.

The Grayling and Bitz are both commendable. I use a Grayling simply because of the price. I bought the jig and straight clamp for about $30. I bought a right helical clamp for it for $6. The Bitz is better and really well made but costs about 3x more (in total including the clamps). I suppose it might be worth it but I figured that for the Grayling the rest of my money could work someplace else more effectively... I guess it depends on how much you fletch arrows. If I had a shop I would use a Bitz for sure. It's bullet-proof. I've had my Grayling for about 4 years now I think and it's still going strong. I mounted it on a nice piece of 1x4 oak board and put some felt pads on the bottom and it's pretty nice to work with.

Hope that helped. Good luck...

Ron

14. revelry

revelry New Member

Arizona EZ Fletch, it's so easy to use and does all the vanes at the same time. You just have to make sure the vanes are seated down properly to the end, close it slowly in a vertical position, and clamp the cap firmly. That way you get consistent fletches every time.Then hang it upside down for a bit with the ring that's on it so the glue doesn't run down into the chamber and you're done. I use Fast Fletch glue, which takes about 30 seconds to dry, and it takes me about 5 minutes to do a shootable finished arrow. I just take the extra time to make sure the vanes have just the right amount of glue on them and are positioned properly.

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Plain and SIMPLE, the BITZ is the BEST and has been for a few years now.....:biggrin1:

BUT.......the Arizona EZ fletch does a great job and like the other guys have said it does all the 3 vanes at once.....its VERY FAST.......it is as fast as the glue you are using.....

IF you had 12 of them, you can cut, clean, debur, insert, clean vane bases, glue, and dot your shafts in about 25 minutes from start to finish.....(COMPLETED READY TO SHOOT ARROWS)

16. Bob4

Bob4 Junior Member

OK Noob question 647:laugh:

dot your shafts ?

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

NO STUPID QUESTIONS, JUST STOOPID.......JUST KIDDING:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

when you are done cleaning the glue from the side of the vanes, after you take them out jig.....

you put a SMALL DOT of glue, on the front and back of the vane, to keep them from peeling up.....:peace:

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

there I fixed it....:peace:

19. Bob4

Bob4 Junior Member

Thanks Bunny.
    Happy Easter BTW. :wave:

20. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Never heard of it like that either. I do it but never called it that. Thanks for asking the question.:peace: