fletching

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by geoff91, Sep 10, 2006.

1. geoff91

geoff91 Junior Member

hey i'v tried fletching my own arrows before but it never stays on long enough i know about using rubbing alcohol on the shaft but, i was wondering if there's anything else i can do :help:

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

What I use to prep the shaft is a good rub with a schotch-brite pad and denatured alchohol or pure acetone. Those two solvents do not contain any oils or additives. Scrub the shaft with the scotchbrite pad after you scrape off the old fletching and glue and wipe it clean with the alcohol or acetone.

Ron

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Give us some more details. Type of vane, type of shaft, and type of glue.

4. geoff91

geoff91 Junior Member

I'm using fletch tite, easton jazz arrows, and 3-d duravane

5. ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 Member

fletchings

I always sand my fletchings. It works great!!!! Get a 4"X6" block and cut 1/16" slots in it, then lay your fletching in the slits and sand the bottom of your fletchings.

6. geoff91

geoff91 Junior Member

i was just wondering are arrow wraps for anything besides looks?

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

thats your issue! This stuff is complete crap! Throw it away, save yourself the money on wasted fletchings and get some Goat Tuff or other glue. I am so disgusted with this glue that I'm calling the manufacturer tommorow to complain.

PS: don't use wraps, they do nothing for the arrow, especially with Fletch Tite, your fletchings will wrip off even easier.

8. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I would suggest a change to Fletchtite Platinum. Slightly better than the original.

Get rid of the rubbing alcohol. This is probably the culprit. Many don't know it but rubbing alcohol has oils in it---DUH!!!!!!!!! You need to use denatured or 91% alcohol, both readily available. Even acetone works well on aluminum arrows, but not fingernail polish remover---again, oils. And when ya clean that arrow rub it till it squeeks.

You can clean the gluing surface of the vane, but I don't think it's necessary with Duravanes. They're ready out off the pack. Read the directions on the packaging to make sure.

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

When I started doing my own fletching I used Fletch-Tite. Didn't work for me worth a damn. I use gel type cyanoacrilate (crazy glue) I get at Dollar General. Vanes don't come off, at all, until you want them off. CYA also cleans off the shaft realy well. I don't use aluminum shafts though so I don't know if you would have the same result.

Good luck.

Ron

10. Bhunte650

Bhunte650 Junior Member

Device

What kinds of devices are people using to put on these fletchings?

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I use a Bitzenburger jig.

btw - I bought some Goat Tuff, this stuff is awesome! I love it

12. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Blitzburger!

I have used Goat Tuff and Sure Foot Fast Fletch (Bought this stuff when I couldn't get Goat Tuff... seems to work just as good) can't say a bad thing about these glues.

13. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I have a 30 year old Bitz. It worked back in the 70's and it still does the best job of any jig out there.

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Bitzenburger is the best choice and thats the bottem line, end of discussion.....

15. cuttinbucks

cuttinbucks Junior Member

goat tuff all day and blitzenburger!:rockon:

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

There is NO L in Bitzenburger......

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Somone is pissy because Mathews didn't put enough T's in there :doh:

18. Allen

Allen Senior Member

Regardless of which glue, vanes or jig you use, one of the keys to a good fletching job is to be sure that you have good contact with the shaft for the whole length of the vane. After you have positioned the vane onto the shaft, use a blade of some sort and run an unsharpened edge along the base of the vane. This presses it down onto the shaft and you will get a much better bond.

The bitzenberger is the best fletching jig available, but the plastic copies made by Bohning and Grayling are adequate for home use and about half the price.

Fletchtite is not the best glue. It may be adequate for aluminum arrows if everything else is perfect. I definitely recommend using Platinum or Goat Tuff, especially if you are fletching carbon arrows.

Everyone is definitely right about the cleaning fluid. 100% acetone or at least 91% alcohol. Fingernail polish remover and rubbing alcohol are no good.

19. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Blitzburger!Blitzburger!Blitzburger!Blitzburger!Blitzburger!

20. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

there is no ! in Blitznburger :laugh: