Flirting with arrow spines and arrow lengths

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Southernfryedyankee, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

After talking to a few people about my current maxima 350's being stiff A member from another forum offered to send me some 250's to try out. I went to Carbon Express's arrow selection guide and it seems that I have a 1" window between a maxima 250 and 350 for me to use the maxima 250. the chart says my total arrow length should not exceed 27" . For me to do that I would have to cut my 250 down to 25 1/4" then add a nock which will add 3/4" and my tip which will be approx 1" to reach 27" maximum. I will be getting a TR Drop zone and with my 27" DL will that arrow be to short to be shot with my setup? Also with my arrow shaft being shorter will my arrows still be on the stiff side?

2. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

3. Southernfryedyankee

65# with a 27" draw

4. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Are you sure that CX was not talking about arrow shaft total length. I do not think they were talking about total assembled arrow broadhead and all. Just from the groove in the nock to the end of the shaft.

5. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

at that draw weight I think you can go either way.

I think the cutoff for 250's is like 64 or 65....In this case I would go with the heavier arrow (350's) due to more kinetic energy.

6. Southernfryedyankee

It said total arrow length so I just figured that meant nock and tip also

7. Southernfryedyankee

I thought the same but bunnyman pointed out that I may be losing more KE from my arrows flying wrong, than a lesser spine flying better hence having more effecient KE. With what I am shooting either way be it 350 or 250 I still have enough KE to kill anything in the united states as Bunnyman pointed out. I just want to be able to shoot good groups.

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

The setup in question is not flinging the arrows as straight as the person wants......it was suggested that his arrows were to stiff, after getting the facts of his setup......I was simply making an educated guess, that the arrows being too stiff, will produce less than steller groups......
    :noidea:

9. Southernfryedyankee

Thats why bunny is the man and hes tryin to help me fix this situation

10. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Well bunny am I right? Before he has his arrows cut to short

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

he is not cutting the arrows, they are allready, finished arrows, :noidea:

12. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I still say try a 125 gr. point on the 350's just to see what happens....:noidea:

13. Southernfryedyankee

I would, but since I already have all 100g FP & BH I want to try this setup and see what happens befor I go drop a bunch more $$$ on new tips, I have 6 brand new 100g slick tricks that I would have to sell or trade then

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

if you gain roughly 1fps for ever 5 grains of weight lost....

you would now be shooting 283fps

and your arrows will weigh, 350gr

your new KE will be 62.26

:noidea:

15. Southernfryedyankee

I cant wait to send them through the Chrono. I may be wrong on my speeds so we shall see