foc question

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by upnorth, Aug 31, 2008.

1. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

how much do you think a 1% to 1.5% difference in foc on a broadhead arrow would make .

2. SinGin

SinGin Banned

need a little more info.

3. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

11% to 15% foc is what I've read is recomended. No more than 18%.

4. PA.JAY

PA.JAY New Member

none . I never pay attention to FOC. it has no bearing what so ever when I put together a arrow .

5. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

say you have a arrow that has a short 100 grain point than you change to a longer 100 grain point that changes the foc on the arrow from 9 % to 10.5 % do you think it will change the point of impact on the arrow . ill let you know were im going with this after a few answers . something i was told at mathews school .

6. SinGin

SinGin Banned

Ididn't think the lenght of the tip mattered that much but maybe it does. Please enlighten us.

7. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

you hear a lot of talk about foc and broadheads flight. at mathews the tech said you cant expect all your broadheads to hit the same as field points because of different foc with broadheads . so i did some checking and using a field point and 3 different broadheads i had foc's from 8.13 to 9.43%.if i went to 125gr i could get some really long broadheads which would really play with the foc .so if a person says he can get all his broadheads with his arrow hitting the same i kind of dought it . i shot them out of my hooter shooter and had 3 different groups .my broadhead and field were hitting the same at 38 yards the other two i shot hit to the right one about 1.5 in and the other 3 in .
    just had some time to play it probably wont mean much to most .

8. PA.JAY

PA.JAY New Member

im glad you did this ! 4 different heads muzzy 4 blade slick trick , g5, thunder head all hit the same . muzzy mx4 little off mark about 1 inch . but all of these heads are the same length so im guessing FOC. wasn't affected ?

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

my 100gr Muzzy MX4's all hit with my feild points.......:noidea:

so guess what, I ONLY USE ONE HEAD.......and its the best there is, was, and ever will be....... :usa:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  10. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

:Cry: i have never had a Bh hit where my fp hit ever, I shoot muzzys now

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

then the setup aint tuned properly.......

whats your complete setup??

bow, weight, arrow (length and size) , tip, completed weight....

12. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

For shooting fixed blade Broadheads you should have a minimum FOC of 12% If you don't you are just cheating yourself.

I have my FMJ's setup for over 20% FOC and they are some awesome flying, hard hitting arrows. No disadvantages to extreme FOC, but there are benefits to be had.

Dan

13. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

all the arrows i did came out with a 8.13 to 9.43 % foc .these are arrows with 100 grain points blazer vanes and maxima 350 shafts 370 grains average lenght around 29 " there all grouping good out to 40 yards and out of the machine when i shoot multiple shots they cut the same hole this was with the short heads that were about the same lenght as the field points . the longer heads like muzzy and thunderheads would be about 3 inches apart at 40 .what are you guys doing to get another 5% foc with a 100 grain point specially when using a wrap ? i put my numbers through the computor formula and they were within 2 hundreds .

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

how about Maxima hunters, with weight foward tecnology??

also, what poundage are you shooting??:noidea:

15. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

Three more ways to add foc; feathers instead of vanes, lighter nocks, and longer shafts.

16. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

most of my shooters want blazers they want a arrow that around ibo .i would say less then 3% of my business is in feathers and alluminum arrows. im at 370 on a 70 lb bow and dont want the extra 20 or so grains that a camo carbon arrow has.since ive started using the hooter shooter and shooting different arrows ,bows , broadheads , etc and really finding what they do . you can throw a lot of the old school thinking out the door . one of my shooters took a 7 1/2 foot griz this year 30 yard shot with the bear facing him hit it top of chest arrow went through the bear and was sticking about 18 inches out his butt went down in 30 yards. hes shooting a 70 lb bow with a 370 grain arrow and g5s so much for needing a extra heavy arrow .
    kind of got away from the topic .
    but if you think about other than the few shooters that really get into it . the rest that order there arrows built on line with blazers , 4 or 5 inch vanes or especially quick spins are nowhere near the 13 to 15 % you talk about with 100 grain points .

17. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Weighted inserts and/or weight collars will do it too. :cool:

Dan

18. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

I have never seemed to have a problem with fixed blade broadhead flight. This year I have been shooting with 100 grain Thunderheads, G5 Strikers and Grim Reaper Hades to see which gives me the best flight and all of them hit within a 2" circle out to 30 yards (this is all I can do in my driveway). I can then shoot a fieldpoint at the same dots and they are very close. :noidea:

The only broadheads that I have had a problem with were Slick Tricks, I never could get them to fly right.

I guess I should check my FOC. I am shooting Goldtip 55/75 at 27.5 inches with blazers.