Forest Preserve District Shoots 300 Deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Chris, May 25, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Many of us have tried for years to get the Forest Preserve District to allow bowhunting in the Forest Preserves. Well, recently we thought it was going to happen. Well, we were wrong. After numerous Forest Preserve meetings, speakers & finally a public hearing, they decided sharp shooters where going in.

Many people told the FPD that they had a deer problem in certain areas. A few on the county board said they weren't so convinced. What was the actual count. 295 deer per square mile in some areas. That's 295! The DNR recommended count is 25 per square mile.

So what do they do, they qualify their FPD employees as sharp shooters. They allow them to shoot these deer at night, over bait, and on taxpayers time. In our state, baiting is illegal and hunting deer at night is illegal. However, they were allowed to do it.

The sharp shooters killed 300 deer. Besides being angry that I was not allowed to hunt these deer, my biggest question, as a taxpayer, was how much did this cost me? $59 thousand dollars, this is not a typo.

The FPD could have easily charged a permit fee to allow hunters to take these deer. I know many people that would have easily paid $50-$100 for a permit.

Based on the latest newspaper article, it appears that the FPD is going to take another look at controller hunting to handle this situation. I don't understand why we have to spend $59k before someone wakes up and says we could make money doing this instead of spending it.

If the FPD can afford to waste that much money, I think it's time for a referendum calling for a tax cut.

Is anything like this happening in other areas of the country?

2. Brown E

Brown E Junior Member

What to do next

I live in Wisconsin, but the Illinois public should know of this waste of money. I think if the word got around to the taxpayers, this may be leverage for it to stop. Letters in the papers for instance.

3. Chris

Actually, there was a big article in the newspaper recently. They even interviewed me for it. They only posted one quote from my interview.

Hopefully, it will change the mentality of the County Board.

4. the contractor

the contractor New Member

Just stumbled across this thread and I don't know what more outrageous, that facts as stated by Chris or that there wasn't more response by hunters to the mentality of the state back then. I wonder if the way the state approaches an issue like this has changed over the last 5 years.

5. pilot

pilot Senior Member

Not from first hand experience, but i was watching a hunting show once (don't rememeber which) and Uncle Ted was telling some of the other pro hunters that he had personally stood on the docks in California and watched them load up container after container or frozen animal carcasses that had been killed by the state game and fish folks because the hunters hadnt harvested enough animals. He was pretty outraged that the state of California couldn't see that all they needed to to do was increase tag and license limits instead of using government funding to slaughter the animals.

6. the contractor

that really is crazy, i dont get why its so hard for the state and federal governing bodies to understand how simple these 'problems' are to take care of . i dont think America has a shortage of willing hunterd

7. red44

red44 Senior Member

Chris what did they do with all of the deer? I'd hate to think it was wasted.

8. Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone Senior Member

Chris

Understand its not going to be for bowhunters to controll deer populations.

I do agree they should have allowed hunters with guns to come harvest the deer. My state has started letting youth hunts in certian public parks. This has been a success.

But in todays times with lawsuits and lawyers. Landowners and states are very leary of allowing hunters onto certian propertys.

Best thing is for you guys to write your state represenatives.

Realize with accidents and exploding deer populations your going to see more of this. Insurance companys are demanding it.
    DB

9. Chris

It is supposed to go to the food banks to help feed the homeless. However, I'm sure a lot is wasted. If you are paid for an 8 hour shift and you shoot a deer or two in the first half hour, do you think they stop, gut it and then take it in or do you think they keep hunting? They do this at any time of the year and even in the spring when it's warm out. How many do you think spoil?

We already know that the DNR has sharp shooted (is that a word) 5000-6000 in the CWD counties of northern IL. Now our county normaly has a harbest of 1000-1300 for the entire archery and gun season in a year. I talk to people all the time now in the shop that say they don't see hardly any deer. These same people used to see 10-15 per outing.

Wow this is an old thread...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  10. scottnorthwest

scottnorthwest Wabbit Huntin

I don't know if sharp shooted is a word but harbest isn't....(-;

Wow, that is an amazing waste of resources, that would be a good one to get pictures of and send to the media...

11. red44

red44 Senior Member

How do I keep getting SUCKED in to these old threads. LOL. :lol: :noidea:

12. the contractor

Got you good ! come on , tell us what you think, come on ...

13. deerassassin22

deerassassin22 BOWTECH TRIBUTE

Sharpshooter

Not to fuel any fires but in order to qualify as a sharpshooter is not that hard at all. I know when i did a hunt similiar to this one got with my local Game Warden or Police Station who was doing it and went a qualified with my rifle. Most the time its like 10 shots at 25 to 100 yds or 150 seated, kneeling, standing and out of a stand. So just put in some research and it could pay off in the end.

14. ropadop

ropadop New Member

Classic government solution. I think it is control issue. The government wants the power and control and money in there hands, not the private citizens.

15. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

The same thing happened at a forest preserve blocks from my in-laws.
    It's especially frustrating around this part of Illinois due to a lack of public hunting land.