Free Flight release

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Ronhop, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

This past weekend I tried a buddy's Free Flight release. Apparently they have several types of jaws but the one he had was called a 'relaxed trigger'. You have to put about 2-3 pounds of pressure on the trigger and to release all you do is relax the pressure on the trigger to open the jaws. I found it awkward at first but after about 15 arrows I got pretty comfortable with it. I actually liked it a lot after a while because you have very little motion with your hand to release it. It has a bar that runs across the palm of your hand, kind of like a handle, which kind of makes it feel like you have less draw weight. Does anyone have any experience with that line of reseases ? I'm thinking of buying one but would like to hear other people's experiences, if any.

Ron

2. cuttinbucks

cuttinbucks Junior Member

I have been looking at buying one too, I have a buddy that lifes in michigan and love his!

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Howdy fella's WELCOME to the forum. :welcome:

I have a Tru-Fire X-Caliper release that I have been shooting for about 10 years. It has this feature also you can release by relaxing or squeezing the trigger. I shot with the relax style for about 9 of those years and believe this is what began my trip down Target Panic road.:noidea: I am not sure but I have now switched to sqeezing the trigger and am starting to shoot a little better. Although I do sometimes have those days when I flinch alot or hold below the target and just cannot raise the pin.:Cry: As with anything it just takes alot of time to fix the problem. I really did like the relax trigger so I cannot say for sure this caused my condition but you may want to be careful changing your shooting style. Good Luck guys and have fun.:peace:

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Thanks for the input.

I actually find that target panic for me seems to come from moving my index finger from behind the trigger to the front. The cool thing about the relaxed trigger is that I don't have to move my finger. I'm still comtemplating this one but anybody that made this transition please feel free to offer opinions. Unfortunately you can't 'rent' one of these for a week or so, otherwise I would. 2 3D shoots next weekend locally and I'm thinking about doing this before that to get some good practice time in before October 1...

Ron

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Are these the realeses made by WINN????

If so, dont waste the money....I hate the hand position of this release as it forces your hand out and away from you head (anchor point)....JMO

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, Winn Archery.
    I hear you and I agree with you. Sometimes immediate gratification is not the best course of action... Thanks a lot for the input.

Ron

7. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

Relax release

I grew up with my Dad running a trap and skeet range for Winchester. Trap shooters get the equivalent of TP over time. The cure for most for this problem is having release triggers put into their Trap guns. It works the same way. You pull the trigger to set it, and release or relax your finger to fire. I've tried to shoot these in the past. It's a wonder I didn't break the durn trigger off trying to make it fire. The truball thumb release I picked up last week almost works like that. I've got it set up so that when I want to fire, I relax my fingers and let the release ease forward in my hand. The meaty part of my thumb/palm contacts the barrel on the trigger and fires the release. This worked out pretty good for a while, but when I couldn't get it to fire, I flinched and jerked back on it and sent an arrow through the woods. Need more time on blind bales, but that is sooooo boring it's really hard to keep after it