Frist deer with a recurve

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by RunMich, Nov 1, 2007.

1. RunMich

RunMich Junior Member

First deer with a recurve

I had stopped hunting for some reason for 5 years. Two weeks ago I decided to start hunting again because I really missed it. So I went out and bought a Fred Bear Grizzly recuve.I never used a recurve before but I wanted to try it. I practiced with it for about 4 days and I was shooting good at 20 yards. So I started hunting. And this moring my arrow found its mark.

I was in the treestand 1 hour before light. But it was an hour after legal hunting time that 3 doe came walking up. I was going to take the first one that got into bow range and be happy. Because I had never shot a deer with a recurve and with no sights. Well the first deer got into range at 8 yards and I shot and "crap" the arrow went right over its back. I thought right away this hunt is over. But they all stayed very close. They where looking at me up in that 15' foot ladder stand. So I put another arrow on. The bigger doe walked around behind me at 25 yards. So I drew back aimed a little high on her and let go of the string.
    OH MAN I HIT HER!! I waited for about 20 min. The two other deer stayed there and finally walked away. I had watched her run off with her tail down, but I walked over to where I hit her found my arrow and blood. I followed the blood to a cornfeild that I had watched her run into. When I got to the corn a bilnd man could have tracked her, there was so much blood. About anither 50 yards into the corn there she was lying on the ground. I was pretty happy.

Will post a picture as soon as I can figure out how.

View attachment 4864

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  2. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

Congrats on the traditional kill! I plan on trying that at some point, but I still can't shoot instinctive worth the crap! Thanks for sharing!!!

3. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

A fantastic achievement!!!!!

Welcome back to hunting!:wave:

4. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

i would like to try that one of these days... congrats on deer.. nice job! :thumb:

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Way to Go!!
    I have always wanted to try traditional, but haven't had the chance yet.

6. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Great job!! I want to get back into traditional archery as well. It was a lot of fun!

7. red44

red44 Senior Member

Congrats man! Been playin a little with a recurve myself, not to consistant though. I just put a sight on it which has helped. It's not as easy as some might think, shooting a good tight group at 20 yards. We'll see how it goes before I take it to the woods. Good job.

8. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

congrats! that is really neat.

rick

9. firechic

firechic IKE refugee... hehe

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Way to go!!!
    :biggrin1:

11. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

By the looks of that pic it looks like that was one of those low fence hunts........:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Now thats how ya git back inta huntin'
    way ta go.:biggrin1:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!