Game camera's

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by nubo1, Jan 13, 2008.

1. nubo1

nubo1 New Member

Guy's I'm looking to pick up a couple new digital game camera's ,I want to know what make and model your using and what the best feature's are about them . I'd like to keep the cost down to around 150.00 to 200.00 each .

So let's hear what you have experience with and if you have pic's I'd really like to see them .

nubo

2. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Moultrie 4.0 at Wally World for $100. Takes great pics and the batteries will last quite awhile.

3. nubo1

nubo1 New Member

Thank's

Thank's for posting this link,just the information I'm looking for ,but do you guy's have any experience of your own to share. Read about the Bushnell ,they don't have too many good thing's to say about them.

nubo

4. Hoyt1986

Hoyt1986 GIT R-DONE!!!!!!

I HAVE A STEALTH CAM THAT COST ME ABOUT $140 AND I LOVE IT!!!! gOT SOME GOOD PICTURES THIS YEAR WITH IT AND THE FLASH EXTENDS UP TO 50FT. A LOT OF YOUR CHEAP CAMERAS DO NOT OFFER A FLASH AT THAT DISTANCE AND THAT IS ONE THING THAT IS IMPORTANT TO ME!!! JMO!

5. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Here's a link to a thread I posted awhile back. The wildview is a pretty good camera for the money. I'm still not impressed with the battery life. If I buy anymore I'll probably get the 2.0 version. It's packaged with an SD card and batteries at Gander Mountain for $99.

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7439

6. nubo1

nubo1 New Member

Stealth

Hoyt!

Which Stealth cam did you have ? I think I've boiled it down to either a Stealth or a Moultrie ,from what I've been reading these 2 brand's seem to be about the favourite cam's to use .

J.C.!

Thank's for that link ,looking like the Moultrie more and more . I'm thinking of spending a little extra for the Infared series [IR 4.1] for around the 230 .00 range .Do you guy's think spending the extra on the infared is worth it ? Compared to the regular flash 4.1

nubo

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  7. nubo1

nubo1 New Member

Cam

Well I picked up the Stealth I-230IR yesterday and am now getting it ready for my own field testing . After reading the review's on most of the cam's out on the market ,the Stealth appeared to me to be one of the better one's out there today . I'll keep you's posted on my finding's.

nubo

8. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

I have been doing alot of research and I decided to get a moultrie I40. They run about $200 have great color and black and white nite pics. Battery life and sensitivity sound awesome as well.

rick

9. STRO

I have the moultrie D40 and a stealth cam. Honestly, they both are great cameras, easy to use, and the batteries last quite awhile. Do not get the moultrie cam that takes the 6 volt batttery as the battery life is not good. The D40 takes six size D batteries and will last over two months in the summer and fall. I like the moultrie a little better only because it has a red laser beam to test where the camera is angled. This makes setup a lot easier. I don't have any experience with infrareds so I can not help you with that.

10. nubo1

nubo1 New Member

Stealth

Well the setup on my new Stealth cam was just as simple as when I setup my 35mm Stealth ,took me about 20 minute's and it's ready for the field . I'll try to get it out this week or for sure next weekend . I'll be off on holiday's for the following week ,so I'll have all kind's of time to play with it .
    The one thing i "DON'T" like about this cam is that there's no viewer on the cam ,so you need to either have 2 San disk's and swap them and bring the swapped disk back home to view your pic's at home ,or I'll have to buy a hand held viewer ,which I'll most likely do in the near future.
    I had picked up a 1GB san disk at BP for 49.00 and then returned it before I left . The wife told me that she seen them at another store for 18.00 ,so I went today and bought 2 San Disk's for less than the one I almost bought at BassPro.
    I'm really looking forward to getting my new toy in the bush .

I just want to thank all of you's for your help in my decission on cam's , I went through the review's pretty thoroughly before i decided that it was either the I40 or th Stealth ,but BP had no Moultrie I40 ,so I ended up with the Stealth.

nubo

11. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Glad we could help. Look forward to seeing some pics.

Where are you located? Is your season still going on?

12. STRO

Yeah, that's what I do, I have a couple of memory cards and just swap them out. Honestly, you won't need 1 GB, your batteries will probably run out before you fill the card.

Have fun and enjoy, it is a great hobby to enjoy during the offseason. You will really start to enjoy it come August/ September when you can start seeing what size bucks you have traveling through your property. It has helped me pass on smaller deer because I now have proof that there are BIG deer on the properties I hunt.

13. IN Bowhunter

IN Bowhunter In search of the big rack

Just my 2 cents worth, go homebrew, you'll never go back! It was the best move I ever made! Check out www.hagshouse.com for the info.

14. Cordwood

Cordwood Banned

Yep...I bought a D40 from BHSS. ...liked it so much I got another.
    http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com...=6102&osCsid=1b06cc6ece7cc732b5f22479c3888880

Keep the quality setting on 'low' and the 6 D-cells will last a couple months/ 400+ pics. But actually I hate buying the batteries...Moultrie is suppose to be coming out soon with a rechargeable 12v that plugs into the side port...cant wait!

...edit- this post keeps getting kicked back as a duplicate but its not registering as posted :frusty:

15. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

D40's got my vote, running two of them. Great $100 cams!

16. Hoyt1986

Hoyt1986 GIT R-DONE!!!!!!

Sorry i havent responed to your ?....I have been busy w/ work and havent had time to get on the internet. Anyways, I have the stealth cam I450.......IT IS AWSOME!

17. nubo1

nubo1 New Member

Cam

I thouight I had done all the research necassary before choosing my game cam,but after getting this cam home ,and researching some more ,I find out that this cam take's nothing but Black and white photo's . Now I'm thinking of returning it to Basspro ,because I really like to have some colour photo's espeacially for daylight hour's .
    Before I make this decission can anyone tell me that i should keep this cam and why? Stealth told me that the only IR cam that they have that shoot's colour is the Prowler ,but it's a little out of my price range . I knmow Moultrie has this colour option with their IR cam's ,and cheaper, because they have a flash included ,so I guess I should have waited till they had some on the shelf .
    If you have the I230IR Stealth ,I would appreciate some advice on this cam.

nubo

18. Cordwood

Cordwood Banned

I dont have an IR...Ive just recently gotten into 'trailcaming'. Lovin it so far. From what I know, the IR feature has 2 pluses. It doesnt scare the deer as bad (tho I havent had a problem)...it doesnt eat batteries as fast because of the 'no flash'. ...and sorry a 3rd, id like to have one for night security. Ive had fellow hunters tell me they've seen my flash go off in the evening thus giving away my position. If you wanted to hide the IR, it would serve several obvious benefits revolving around security. Both anti-theft of the cam itself, as well as possibly using it like a 'nanny-cam' to catch thieves or trespasser..etc.

But for cam beginners, I cant complain about my cheap $100 D40's. Bought another.:biggrin1: ..takes great pics and good battery life on 'low'quality settings.

*update on the 12v side port - got a call from moultrie yesterday saying the new rechargeable 12v finally cleared customs and are now available. That was good new until she told me the price..$89.99! wtf! ..I want it cus im tired of buying D-cells, but man thats steep! ..should be able to pick them up a little cheaper from Wallys or BHSS later in the year after they're distributed. ...this isnt the trailcam time-o-year anyway.

19. nubo1

nubo1 New Member

cam

I'm going to go ahead and stick this cam out this weekend and see what I think of it , I also think I may purchase a couple D40's myself and I'll put them out at a later date. That'll give me the colour photos for the daytime and black and white during the evening.

I like your little slogan about bredding sheep LOL