Getting back into 3D and my yardage stinks

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chris, May 12, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I've started off this year trying to shoot more. Work just always gets in the way. I've shot 4 shoots already this year. The shooting is coming around but am struggling with yardage still. You gotta stay in practice at this :frusty:

It seems I'm within a yard or off by a bunch. whoa. The shoot we went to Saturday was tough. Long shots most of the day. I think we had about 6 or 7 shots under 30. Everything else was 30 and out. Mostly around 40
    At least I'm having fun.

2. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

That is the most difficult part of it, no doubt about it.

3. rodney482

rodney482 I love this stuff

I feel your pain...I too am just getting back into 3d gave it a 18 year rest.

I shot Sunday and I was underestimating the yardage by about 3-5 yds.

Almost never shooting high.

we had alot of targets that were 32, 33 and they all looked 26-28 to me.

You are right its fun.

4. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I started 3D this summer. I've been improving my accuracy practicing in my back yard at known distances. Gauging distance improved quite a bit from start to finish my first time out. Since then I've shot the course 3 times and I've improved my score very little. In fact, I did worse yesterday than my first time out. I'm blaming the black flies and my lack of bug spray, but honestly I don't think I'm any better. I'll keep going, though. If I gave up that easily, I wouldn't have made it through my first season of bowhunting.

5. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

How ironic is that...the admin of 3-Dshoots can't shoot 3-D.:laugh:

Just kidding.:D Just practice, that all you can do. I practice year round, guessing and stepping off different distances.:bowl:

6. ropadop

ropadop New Member

Here is my method. (Let's say for a 33 yd shot)
    1) Is it over or under 30 yd based on my first impression.

2) Where is the halfway point. What is that distance? Over 15yd less than 17yd. So full distance should be 30 to 34 yds.

3) Take ten yard increments...1, 2, 3, plus about 2 to 4 yds...so we are about 32 to 34 yds.

4) Shoot the shot for 34. High ten. Check with rangefinder, 33 yd.

Shadows and full shade vs. Full sun always get me.

7. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Haven't got to go to a shoot since february.:Cry: :Cry: :Cry: :Cry:

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Chris try taking one of your practice days and just study yardage
    I use know distances and have markers in 5 yards intruvals also across voids and behind trees and open areas.
    :biggrin1:

9. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

I do something very similar to this. I take distance that I can judge accurately everytime (i.e. 10 or 20 yds). I count how many of those are between me and the target and make an approximation of the remainder based on the known yardage. To make it simpler on myself, I can tell almost exactly how far 10 yards is.

I have also found that if I think the yardage is between, say 30 and 35 yds, I split my pins and let 'er rip. With my bow for some reason, this seems to work pretty good. Don't always get the "X", but usually a 10 (unless I jerk or am way off on yardage), and sometimes I'll get lucky and cut the line.

10. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Since getting into this business, my shooting has steadly declined. My work ethics get in the way of practice and shooting. A friend of mine said, remember why you got into this business...the love of the sport...he said don't forget that!

If you love shooting archery, don't get into this business.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  11. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Every person I know that works at a shop has said the same thing...

12. hulburt5

hulburt5 Junior Member

3d

Look @ it this way Chris........ Your shop is probably the best shop i've been in!! Obsession is a True PRO SHOP!! From the equipment you carry to you and your wife....:peace: I drive quite a ways to come there and if if it wasn't worth it I sure wouldn't do it.. The shooting will come around and you will be back!! Here is the thing... U know what needs to be done to get back where u were and u don't need anyone to tell you how to get there.. You'll be back!!!!!:biggrin1:

13. rundovr

rundovr nevada hunter

just some thing that I do, I shoot an eight inch target at twenty yards, I then take the size of the pin in comparsion to the target i.e. does the pin cover the target, or is the traget larger than the pin, I do the same for multiple yardages and take a visual picture of the results. does not work every time, but a good starting point.

14. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

Chris, do me a favor....pick up and read the e-myth books. I've read three...and e-myth mastery is probably the least fun to read....so start with "e-myth revisted".

Every business owner should read them...especially ones that make comments like these. It'll really change your perspective.

15. SinGin

SinGin Banned

Just take Slippy with you, he thinks he is always right.