Getting out of hand

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by MoSkeeter0311, Apr 5, 2008.

1. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Missed a car payment? Good luck starting the car
    Thu Apr 3, 2008 8:55PM EDT
    See Comments (121)
    Buzz up!on Yahoo!
    I've never heard of this trend before, but according to USA Today, subprime borrowers buying a car are required to have a little box mounted under the car's dashboard that forces them to make payments on time. A light on the box flashes when payments are due, and if the payment is not made on time, the box starts to beep until a four-digit code is punched in to reset the system. The only way to get this code is by making the payment, and if that payment is not made on time, the car won't start.
    Apparently, customers hate them, while lenders love the little boxes because it lowers default rates. Sekurus, the company who sells these boxes, has sold over 250,000 at $250, and its competitors are looking at ways to make these payment enforcement devices more efficient. One company is selling wireless systems that sends text messages to the car, and another one is adding GPS functionality to the device to make it easy for lenders to repossess the car.
    I know times are tough for everyone, but is this really necessary? Before you know it, we'll have these little boxes locking us out the house too. It's just crazy.

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

You are so right Mo
    I wonder how long it will be before they want to put a little box in us
    is this what we fought so hard for freedom for:usa:

3. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

This is what we get for so whole heartedly embrassing the techno revolution. We blindly agree to anything the wireless companies tell us to do. "There is the newest lastest and greatest phone out....you must buy it or you are a looser (Oh yeah, buy the way you have to sign a new contract that only we can change and you must agree to everything we say)" So most people run out and buy it, blindly. Same goes for all the other techno junk. I got my first cell phone last year......my wife made me:pout: so she could get ahold of me when she needed to. I hate the dang thing, it stays off most of the time.

4. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

As I do part time repos for a local car lot, i like the boxes, most of the time the car is at their house, or their work location. I love the gps pass time boxes, know right where to go then!! The draw back is the batteries dont last very long on the gps units, their working on it with built in charging systems though. In most cases the cars we turn off, are not guys with good payment history who are 3 or 4 days late, its the ones who are always late, lie and try to scam the sales lot. If you have trouble with making your car payment, and call them and make arangments, they give out a weekly code so you can use your car. When they started using the boxes, the ontime payment % went way up, and theis alot lees time looking for cars that the lot needed to get back. This Is a great way for alot of the small sales lots to protect their bussiness, and recover what is leagally thiers. Theirs alot of dishonest people nowdays and this is just a way for a bussines to keep from losing money.

5. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I guess you could always just not buy stuff you can't afford and pay your bills on time.....:noidea:

6. SinGin

SinGin Banned

Amen. The Dave Ramsey approach

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I gotta agree with the last 2 responses.......

PAY YOU DAMB CAR PAYMENTS AND HOUSE PAYMENTS AND IT WOULDNT HAVE TO COME TO THIS......:censored: :censored:

IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY, DONT BUY IT, AND IF YOU NEED EXTRA MONEY GO MAKE IT:frusty: :frusty:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  8. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

:Cry: I agree, sometimes the truth hurts!!! :amen:

9. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I pay cash for every thing but my house. I owe no one. Yes my geo is a junker but it runs and it is paid for. A car is not a social status synbol to me. A new bow does not a good archer make. As for homes I could have got a 250,000 dollars home when I got this one. But I said I want to pay xxx.xx a month. Now how much money is that for a house. I can work at McD's and make my house payment.
    LIVE with in your means

10. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Dude is there a McDonalds in Alabama that your still allowed to go into????....:noidea:

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I was just thinkin that...:D
    You know how he treats the employees could you imagine him with a problem customer...:lol:

12. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I can picture secret sauce dripping off somebody after having a Big Mac smashed into their face.....:lol: