Going to blazers..helical help

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Steve.Va, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Steve.Va

Steve.Va Junior Member

Need a little help with my arrow change up. Ive had some real bad luck with wounding deer with my last 2 shots and hate everything that goes along with it. My confidence with mechanical broadheads is not good anymore and im gonna switch back to fixed blades for the penetration/exit im used to. ...anyhow im about to order some of the 2" Blazer vanes from cabelas soon and was wondering about fletching them to my goldtips. Ive switched broadheads enough times to have bought both the right-helical and straight arizona e-z fletchers. I figured it was an auto to use the right-helical if im using fixed broadheads but somehow ive gotten confused by some pics and some things i read. Anyhow, I should use the right-helical right? I think its a 6 degree offset. Do i need a bitzenburger? What degree do most blazer users use for broadheads? Im gonna be using 100gr Thunderheads/3 blade on 7595 goldtips, Mathews z-max 70lbs, approx 280fps. ...thanks and good hunting!

2. hoggin03

hoggin03 Junior Member

I put just a slight right helical on mine and they fly great with Thunderheads. It's hard to put a lot of helical on them because they are so short.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Make up a few of each and see what shoots the best, w/the least amount of planeing (spelling I know), then you will have the most confidence also....I shot blazers for a little while and keep going back to Quik Spins.....I just like them better, even though they are twice the price.......

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I use a slight left offset (because thats the Bitz I have and don't wanna buy another) and a very slight helical as well. they fly awesome.

USE GOATTUFF GLUE! you can order it from Cabelas as well, DO NOT use Bohning glue!

5. Sportsman

Sportsman Member

Placement?

Steve, the only thing that will slow that arrow (weight/speed) down is the shoulder or front leg on entry. Are you possibly aiming too close to the shoulder? My setup is a lighter goldtip 377 with expandables (Rocket Steelheads). I think I've had one out of 11 that wasn't a pass through. That is because it was lodged in the opposite shoulder, still dead deer in short order. If this is possibly the problem just remember there is allot of room for a double lung shot behind the shoulder, even if you hit the opposite one it will be good, just harder to track.

6. Steve.Va

Steve.Va Junior Member

yes-last hit was a tick high and slightly forward with the deer almost perfectly broadside but maybe too close..10yds and i was 20+ft off the ground. I thought i drilled it..even with the arrow hanging out it looked good. Hit plenty of deer in the same spot and found em. Ive been using 85gr sidewinders for several years and most the time they work great. ...before that i used 75gr wasp that worked well but didnt always have good blood trails on ripper hits. ..and they didnt fly like my field points so i had to switch up if i wanted to go to 3D shoots. ...i dont go to 3D shoots anymore and just want fixed blades again so that my only excuse will be that i missed. ..but i'll be shooting sidewinders until cabelas get 100gr Muzzys back in stock. I was about to order thunderheads but read alot of good things about muzzys. I'll post how the muzzy/blazer/goldtip combo shoot when they get here. Thanks to all that helped and good hunting-Steve

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  7. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Great point, I have used the Rocket Mini Blasters 78 grain expandables for several years and have always had pass thrus. Even the biggest baddest fixed head broadhead won't make up for poor shot placement.

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

The Muzzy / Goldtip / Blazer combo is good AS LONG AS your head and veins line up, if they don't forget it! I just shot mine tonight and I'm horribly inconsisistent. Lined one up so its blades and veins are on the same plane and now they shoot great... expect to have to refletch some arrows when you get em!

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

getting them to line up......whats that called.......oh yeah broadhead tunning.....

Muzzy sells practice blades and these things are awsome you put your ferrel into the shaft, put the practice blades in, screw on the tip and tune the ferrel to the specific arrow.....now simply unscrew the tip, remove the practice blades, install the real blades, screw back on the tip, and your ready to go.....my buddies and I tried this last year to see if its true and all but one arrow hit the exact same mark w/practice and real blades.....the one that did not....the ferrel was loose......

10. Steve.Va

Steve.Va Junior Member

They're flying sweet....im amazed. Got the blazers yesterday and put em on the goldtips with the arizona ez-fletcher right helical/goat tuff. Im using 75gr 3-blade wasp broadheads until the 100gr muzzys get here. Even without lining the blades up with the fletchings(tune job) they fly awesome. I was consistently shooting tennis ball size groups at 20yds with the same 4 arrows . ...im suprised i didnt damage any arrows. ...anyhow im feeling good about his set up..cant wait to screw some badazz muzzys on em! :rockon: :usa:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Tennis ball size groups.....w/braodheads can get expensive......