Good spots

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Holy Smokes, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

from you hunting experiences where are some good spots to set up in yha woods
    One that i ahve found is called edges
    der are edge animals
    an edge can be a simple as an old fence row in tha woods or field or and old logging road. where the hardwoods meets the brushey areas or a ridge line
    anybody got any other favorite ambush places

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I like to ambush them from the PRO stake........:noidea:

3. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Any naturally occuring funnel is a good spot. Examples include:
    Where two big stands of hardwoods are joined together by a small strip of hardwoods,
    a saddle in a ridge,
    a narrow/shallow section of a river/creek that they will use to cross,
    the shortest open distance between two patches of cover,
    dry strip of land between two swampy area's
    You get the idea, funnel all the deer through an area, and your bound to find one you like.
    Another good spot is in a SMALL stand of hardwoods in an open field that has a good food source in it, big bucks have a tendancy to not want to travel too far.
    A river bottom with good cover is also good.

4. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Problem is, those fleshy deer don't tend to stand around and let you analyze the shot like those foamy ones do. :laugh:

5. J.C.

J.C. New Member

standing next to my cornpile..............:peace: :peace: :peace:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

UNETHICAL!!!!!!!!

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

but tasty.......:noidea:

8. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Peanut butter works great....:wave: :wave: :wave:

9. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

where 3 or 4 ridges join inbetween bedding area and food .... thats where i see most of my deer

10. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

I can't remember getting 2 deer in the same way and place...

11. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

I'm with you, I like hunting edges. If I go down to southern Ohio, I like hunting the bottoms of hollers. It seems the worst its going to be getting them out, the better.:noidea: :D

12. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

The properties I hunt they tend to be at the same places. Every deer I have taken has been the at same place on my own property (although I've seen them other places).

13. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

My three best spots..

1.Small Island's surronded by swamp. Great spot to ambush bucks early in the year as they come up on the dry ground to bed.

2. Downwind side of a doe bedding area. Nothing beats a afternoon hunt in November in this spot. I can watch the doe's and fawns as they stand up out of their beds in the swamp. I only hunt this spot during rut and only when the wind is perfect. The last 2 years Ive conected on two nice bucks as they scent checked the bedding areas from downwind.

3. A draw or cut in a ridge....my best spot for morning action. I hunt this spot only in the morning due to the complexity it takes to get there. The ridge has a large swamp on both sides. Deer use the cut to cross over the ridge during daylight hours. Every deer that cross's over within 100 yards use's this cut. I saw 9 bucks last year on the morning of November 3rd from this stand..Just that little suttle change in the ground really makes a difference.

I stay away form hard feild edges,,,,natural funnels are good spots when the time is right. But if I had to pick one spot during the rut I'll take the down wind side of a doe bedding area all day. You would be suprised how far away from the bedding area a buck will cruise looking for scent. All the bucks Ive taken this way in the past were at least 100 yards from the bedded does. The big boys are smart..they dont run all over heck looking for active doe's..They just simply walk around the downwind side of the bedding areas with their nose to the wind..if they smell a girl freand well then they attack. But if not they just go to the next group..

My best stand can be ruined if I dont pay attention to the number one thing..WIND. It's all a mood point if the wind is wrong. I only hunt 3 stands in November...All set up for different wind directions. When in doubt I sit it out...Id rather sit in the truck and glass feilds than spook a nice deer that winds me.

man can you tell bow season is close????????