Got a question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by BUNNYMAN, Dec 17, 2006.

1. 17hmr

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. 17mach 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. .22lr

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. .22magnum

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Give me your opinions....is the 17hmr..... or.....17 mach 2 too much for tree rats???

I can get a great deal on a 17 right now but if its too much for tree rats I would rather spend my money in another direction at this point....

also what is the real differences between the 17hmr and the 17mach2???

also gave options for the other 2 favorite tree rats in this area....

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

The .17 is a great caliber for rats...
    the difference between the 2 is the 17hmr is a necked down 22wmr(magnum) and the 17mach2 is a necked down 22lr...they both have good ballistics...
    the big difference between .22 and .17 is ammo price...22lr is still the cheapest but 17hmr is better long range...

I would go .17hmr...What brand are you looking at?

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

good question, I guess I am open to any brand but would like to spend less than 5 for gun scope and acouple of boxes of ammo....

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Savage model 93 is a good one...some of the best barrels out there and the new rimfires have the real accutrigger now you can turn that down to like 2# of trigger pull and they run $250-$400 depending on the package you want...

http://www.savagearms.com/93r17BTVS.htm This is my personal favorite...

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the scope I am looking at is the sweet 17 from BSA....40mm retails for 150...I know GM probably has it cheaper....I think the bow shop I work at may be able to get it also.....but I think I will be recieving gift certificates to GM so I think I will get it there.....

so scope say roughly 150.....
    so looking to spend 300 or less on the gun....preferably w/ a medium heavy barrel....any suggestions???

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

thumb hole stocks dont feel right to me...do you know any place that has one of these I can feel....

7. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

http://www.savagearms.com/93r17gv.htm
    http://www.savagearms.com/93r17fv.htm
    These are the varmint barrels...

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

GM has a couple and the Thruway market has a bunch of stuff... Dick's is pretty good for them also...

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

they have that thumb hole stock Savage 17????
    I really like the look but would like to feel it before having someone order it for me....

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

now I have to decide wood and blue or syn and chrome....

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I know the Thruway has it and I've seen it at GM Middletown, not sure about Kingston...Dick's has a couple non-thumbholes...

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I guess i need to get on the phone to thruway and see if they have one in stock......I am really liking that one......would be going over budget but hey we have to splurge now and then

13. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

They have a thumbhole/blue that's like $50 cheaper than the stainless I think...like $350 instead of $400...

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

sweet I just want to see one and hold it in the mits before I get Gander to order it.....

15. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Bowman the Bass Pro Shop has a very good scope for this type of setup for only$79.00. It is a variable to 10 power with a 50mm size. i use one on a Savage 22 mag. I popped a bird at 120 yards the other day:nod: .i just held high on the kill zone. The scope has very clear optics for the bucks.HS

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

whats the model and do you havea link for them......who makes it????

17. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

I have a Savage 17 HMR Modle 93. and it's a great gun. Shoot a few coy's w/ it and a few tree rats. Bowman go w/ the syn and chrome. I think you will like that combo.

18. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

go with the .22lr. Cheap as hell ammo and the .17 is great at ranges... but how far away are you going to be shooting rats at? Anything under 50 - 75 yards you'll drop them with the .22 and you get a box of 500 rounds for like 5 bux

19. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

What the heck is going on here???

I think this thread should be in the off topic section not the Bowhunters & Bow Hunting forum.:doh:

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

well you tell me how to get something on there faster and I will.....some idiots come on here and ruin it for everyone....we are be punished for them being jerk offs......so then they just go into all the other forums....

I think we need a general HUNTING section....I mean we have had a few gun threads now.....

so how about it Chris.....I think we need another member to check the threads (NOT ME).....it seems that sometimes you are very busy and I understand that....