Got my first Deer of the Year!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Cablegaurd21, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

I finally got that monkey off my back! It's been a long season. I was sitting out in the timber at about 6:30 am. Legal shooting light begins at 6:41am. I was nice and cozy when I heard something walking off to my left. Well since its shotgun season here I had to leave the bow at home, I put on an orange vest and sat on the ground. I couldn't see anything but I knew something was there. I looked at my watch...6:52am. Perfect, now I just needed an open shot. I spot some movement in front of me...It's a doe. I told myself because of my luck so far this season that if it was brown it was down. So I clicked my safety off and raised up my remington 870 20 gauge. I estimated her range at 70 yards. When I got the gun to my shoulder I noticed I could only see the top 8 inches of her back. When she looked up I could see her head but not if she was feeding. I started to sqeeze and then let off. I couldn't shoot!:frusty: It was just too small a window and I couldn't see what was behind her. So I let her walk clicked my saftey back on and said some not so nice words. After she left I got to looking around. Right next to me was a stump about 16" off the ground. so I slowly lifted myself up onto the stump and it gave me a perfect veiw down the hill. After sitting for 45 min or so I saw someting grey that kinda looked like a deer. I steched my neck out to get a better look and it flicked it's tail. I clicked off my saftey, placed the iron sight on her chest and let it fly! She toppled like a rag doll. Unfortunatly she was down about three feet lower than I thought on the grade so I spined her!:frusty: One follow up shot ended my hunting season.:D I know its not a bow kill but I thought youy guys/gals would like to hear about it. I should have a pic soon. I think she was a bout 2.5 years and maybe 100 pounds or so. Best of luck to all of you.:peace:

2. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

Congrats, Some of us are still waiting on our first.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

THATS AWSOME.............:peace:

4. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Congrats Buddy....:D

5. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Congrats on the harvest.

6. Cablegaurd21

I'm working on it. Shes hanging out at my father-in-laws shed and it's 20min away or so. I'm gonna cut her up tonight so I should have a pic sonn sorry for the wait...Plus a pic won't be real nice since the follow up shot was to the back neck/head area.:puke: But I'll get one of her hanging.:photo:

7. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

8. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

its about time:lol: J/K Good job... I got a doe and a nice 8pt this weekend with the Shotgun..

9. Cablegaurd21

I figured after all my past success i should let you catch up this year!:laugh: J/k It's just been a rough season for me...I still love it though.:peace: Congrats on your harvest IAhunter11!:rockon:

10. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

Hang in there I have had plenty of rough seasons.. Just have gotten really lucky this year... Maybe if you want you can come with me a couple of times next year I have a few pretty good spots...

11. Cablegaurd21

Sounds like a Plan!:peace:

12. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Congrats on the 1st deer of the year. and who cares how you got it, they still tast good if shot with a gun or a bow.:biggrin1: