guardian fletching clearance issue.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by head hunter, Apr 27, 2007.

1. head hunter

head hunter Junior Member

I recently bought a bowtech guardian and shoot an ultra rest on it. I shoot blazers and cant get fletching clearance. i've turned the veins and they either hit my cable or the rest while lying on the shelf. Any one else notice this or have any suggestions.

2. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Is it the riser or part of the rest that makes contact? Did it correct shooting **** fletch out, down, or up? Did you paper tune? Often when contact is made the tear is opposite of the correction needed.
    Example. When it shows a point left / nock right tear you would expect to move the rest right. Actually, it needs to go left. The vanes bounced the back end away, and the blazers overcorrected initially before quickly straightening out the bounce. They really grab the air from the moment they leave the string. Those guidelines are just that, guidelines. You would be surprised what experience with strange problems can teach, and God knows if there is a problem, I had it.
    Paper tune from about 3 to 4 feet away with straight fletch. Try the suggestion. then about 10 feet. Then move back to ten and twenty yards to confirm. Put the twenty yard pin at eye level to get a level tear and make sure you are square from the paper. Shortening draw lenght may help with torquing the bow if you stop at the end and don't overstress the limbs. Do you pull way back.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007

3. I had the same problem with my alliegance. I tried what sniper just suggested to you and it worked great.......until I put broadheads on. moving my rest solved the clearance problem but when I went to my fixed blades, the minor miss-alignment was magnified. I ended up going to the 3.125 inch quick spins. they are only 1/2" tall. I am not sure how tall the blazers are but the 4" quick spins are 9/16" tall and still lower than the blazers. this was the fix for me. and I actually like the quick spins better all around.

4. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

The paper tuning will probobly work, like I said. Just remember that because you are hitting the rest or riser the move will probobly be opposite. Retuning for broadheads is always required, even for mechanicals, to get them dead on at distance.

5. I'm shooting my Guardian with Blazers and though they look close, I'm not getting any contact. I've been experimenting with some 4 inch Bohning low profile Killer vanes that are made out of the same textured material as the Blazers and they are shooting great. I'll probably be switching to the Killer vanes as soon as my large order comes in to get more effect from my helical clamp on my Bitzenberger. The helical on the Blazers doesn't show much because of the short vane, the 4 inch Killers look to put much more spin on my arrows when fletched with the same jig.

6. where did you get that it was hitting the riser?

7. head hunter

head hunter Junior Member

Thanks for the input everyone. The blazers were not hitting the riser only the actual rest or cable depending on how they were turned. I took the bow to the shop were i buoght it today and found out that the ultra-rest mounted on the bow-tech bows only allow for 1/16" clearance with blazers. I could not achieve the clearance no matter how i turned the arrow. The shop put a teflon cable guard on that pulled the cables over enough to give me clearance. I put lipstick on my blazers and shot the bow, there does not appear to be any contact now. Arrows are flying true out to 50yds. with field points. Hope the broads fly as true. will know tomorrow.