Have you bought a bow package from Huntersfriend?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chris, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

We are evaluating offering package bows for sale like they do. I was wondering how many on here have purchased package bows and what did you like and not like about it?

1) What type of bow did you buy?
    2) Was your peep height actually set correctly?
    3) Was the peep tied in place or was it moveable?
    4) Did they have your bow in stock?
    5) Did you upgrade your accessories to better quality?

Setting the peep to the right height, this is the one statement they make that I can't figure out how they do it. I know from our experience, everyone anchors a little differently and their faces are different shapes.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I would guess they either base if off what you tell them or they allow a large range of movement and then you can move the knots into place. I can't think of any other way.

3. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

They must have you measure you current set-up.

Ben

4. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

Three guys here just bought package deals from Huntersfriend in the last three weeks. I was talking to one of them yesterday and he is waiting for his package to arrive. The Package bows were:

Xforce package
    Truth package
    and a limited run on a previous Browning model. The Xforce came in five days, the Truth took a little longer and the Browning was just mailed. The two bows already in have peep rotation issues and will need to have the string twisted (to be expected on a new bow). Peeps where tied in place (guest-i-mation method):D . Overall they did a good job.

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Instead of trying to offer pre-determined packages why not have an offer where you have a price for a bow, any bow you carry, and have the customer choose their accessories, any accessories you carry, at a percentage discount if they buy them at the same time and have you set it up ?

Why copy somebody else's promotion, which may lead to an unsatisfied customer, when you can do it better and give the customer more options ?

Ron

6. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

That is a good ideal but you will still have issues with customers. Especially the new archers that don't know how to work on their equipment yet, and if the customer is a mail order customer the setup will always be am estimated measurement setup and will need fine tuning. HF sights in for 20 yds.

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I don't think there is a workaround for that anyway. And I think new archers should absolutely be encouraged, by all of us, to go to a pro shop and get expert advice and not just dive into a mail-order thing. Bad results from that scenario drive people out of the sport.

My suggestion was really rooted in the aspect of not having to 'stock' pre-configured bows with a bunch of questionable accessories on it.

It's like private label spaghetti sauce vs. Newman's Own... Private label might be cheaper (Unless it's Newman's Own, but they don't do private label) but I'll tell you it don't taste any where near as good.

Ron

8. Chris

I was not aware that the Xforce could be sold online. I will call the Rep tomorrow and see what the story is.

9. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

Xforce package
    http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-PSE-X-Force/x-force-fastest-compound-bow.htm

Guardian Package
    http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Bowtech-Guardian-Package/bowtech-guardian-compound-bow.htm

Today I was working on the Truth bow that was ordered from HF by an archer here. His whisper bisquit rest is eating up the regular 4" fletching on his arrows. There is no proshop here so us Guam archers help each other out (especially the new archers). HF does a good service by offering package deals even if many of the accessories are not the top of the line. They get the job done. All three archer who bought packages from HF are new archers and are eager to learn.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  10. Scablands

Scablands Member

I have bought a few from them.
    Cougar Mag
    Extreme VFT
    Allegiance
    Peeps were never set correctly even when told exactly where I wanted it. They were tied in very well, I had to cut them loose to move them.
    I always checked if the bow was in stock before ordering.
    I generally picked the accessories I wanted if they were not already in the package. Usually they were upgrades.

Overall they do a very good job and provide a good service if you don't know how to set up a bow or just don't have the time available. I don't use them any more but wouldn't hesitate to recomend them as long as you tell them to leave the peep loose enough to move. It seemed to me they always set it to fit the person setting up the bow so they could sight it in and get things set up ready to shoot. If that person had the peep the same place that would be good for you great, you are golden. If not you are going to have to cut it loose and tie it in again. This is a problem if you don't know how or have a press available to get the thing lined up again. Of course they could have put it where I requested to begin with :mad:. It would also depend on the quality of the string as to how much it would move and have to be repositioned, the bowtechs were very good, once shot 50 or 60 times which they do, they don't move much.

11. Chris

I just talked to my PSE Rep and they said, no this is not allowed.:yell:
    I told him to check into it and let me know.

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

is it because he is in Guam?

13. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

Nope, its on their website anyone can buy the XForce package.

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup i saw it there also......anyone can buy it.....

go get them Chris.....:usa:

15. V-DOG

V-DOG Junior Member

Almost tried HF

New to bowhunting again (20 yrs ago). And new here, too. Realized that I didn't know enough about setup to buy online. Went to a local dealer and I'm very happy with my new Guardian. Like I told the dealer, I've bought guitars online, but I already know how to play. Don't really know how to set-up or shoot a bow, but I'm already getting dialed in at 20 yds. Couldn't be happier with my bow.

16. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

For many years I have bought package hunting setups from the likes of Gander mountain, BassPro and Cabelas. Mainly because I live so far away. I never had any major problems with them. If I did not like it or there was a defect in the bow I would just exchange it. I am a tinkerer of bows so I do alot of research on how-to's on bow serviceing and I don't buy bows that I can't already press. But I can't make my own cables and strings yet.:frusty: