Headlamp/Flashlight Use?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by buccaneerbowhunter, Nov 2, 2007.

1. buccaneerbowhunter

buccaneerbowhunter Junior Member

How big of a deal is it to use a headlamp or flashlight to enter or exit the woods in the dark when moving to or from a stand? Will it spook the deer or do they care? Thanks :help:

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

It shouldn't hurt anything if you use a small low power flashlight and keep it pointed at the ground right in front of you. Don't wave it around.

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

The most important part of carrying a flaslight is ya never really know if there is someone else in the woods you are hunting. It could save your life.. do not walk into or out of a woods without a flashlight on in the dark and I can tell you this from my own personal experience.......

4. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

I've heard a red lamp won't spook most game, but that could be a bunch of crap....I've never tried it.

5. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

i use a green one. they cant see it and it will not leave you seeing white when you turn it off.

6. OA3D

OA3D Member

I haven't noticed any deer jumping with green light.
    Swithch to blue cap and see blood:peace:

7. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

I use a headlamp climbing and setting in, and usually walking in too, if I am in thick stuff and don't know the exact way to where I am going..
    I got a 8 AA scuba light wth krypton, for tracking blood and other uses. Super bright. Love it. I don't like LED's at all. The Bluish tint sucks for blood.
    I thing the deer are more spooked by me being there at all, and seldom run or spook unless I walk right up on them. They actually seem kinda curious about a headlamp, and watch it without freaking, usually.
    After sitting in a tree 15 minutes, everything settles down, and deer that were too far away to notice you in the first place are walking under the stand.

8. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

I couldn't imagine it spooking more deer than me walking into things in the dark!

9. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I've spooked em both ways so I use one
    yup would hate ta git tha shaft

10. Holy Smokes

was hunting a big buck had seen him last day of archery in west tn
    so I went back 3 day of gun
    gittin'
    ta be what I call buck 30
    button head walks under my stand and mills around fer 2 mins
    moves on and I here a sound coming from tha same way samller deer comes so I says to myself here comes tha big boy follarin' shorty
    git my gun up noise gits
    closer click off safty
    see image at 50 yrds now moves ta 30 and

its a stupid man
    no light slippin out tha woods
    come close ta killin that fellar raelly shook ol Smokes up.

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

wanna feel something that will shake you up more than that??

how about some idiot taking pot shots at you in the woods from his house.....as you crossing the end of the swamp to get to your car.....:censored: :censored:

I ALMOST KILLED THAT MAN TOO smokes......

12. Holy Smokes

did he think you was a deer.

13. Holy Smokes

I'd a been doin' tha belly crawl and diggin' a ditch at tha same time:scared: :scared: :scared:

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

nope he was an ANTI.....and I always made sure I took my orange off right before I got to where he could see me, that day, I forgot:frusty: :frusty:

Before anyone says it....IT was my moms property:noidea:

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

If I hadnt been so ratled i would have been digging a hole...........

to bury that scum.........

16. bullfiddle

yep that's why I posted what I did in this thread. My buddy and I about 15 years ago were walkin down the edge of a corn field it was just starting to turn daylight. We had gotten up late and was bustin to get in our stands. I just caught something outta the corner of my eye a car had stopped in the road and the fellar was layin across the hood of his car with a high powered rifle putting a bead right in the middle of my buddies back. I hollered at the guy when I seen what he was doin and he took outta there pretty quick. It was to dark to make us out and we had no flashlights he mistook us for deer walkin down the edge of a field. The good Lord was watching out for us that day or I might not have turned around to see that guy.

17. Holy Smokes

I'd been dialin' 911 and taking a warrant with intent ta kill with a deadly weapon

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup.......it may be the closest I have ever been to Acctually KILLING another human being:censored:

19. bullfiddle

Man yall must be full of them Anti hunters out your way. We don't have any of that kinda crap goes on around here. I guess I just never realized how lucky I am to live where I do.

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you HAVE NO IDEA:frusty: