Hello there. I'm a newbie looking to get into archery. =)

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Feoen, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Feoen

Feoen New Member

Hey there everyone. I think it's great to have a community for archery out there. What a simple Google search can bring up is fantastic!

By any means, I'm a senior in high school. In gym this year we are doing an archery unit. Right now we are working with recurve bows, but towards the end of the unit my teachers said we will be trying out compound bows.

For many years I had wanted to do archery, but as with most things I was never able to find any initiative for my parents to support my interests. So, the idea went on the back burner until now.

I did a little research and found that most of the beginning ideas are basically what we have been taught in class: arrows should be about one inch longer than your arms' length, begin with recurve, etc. What else should I know?

My main issue here is the legality of archery. In gym class we are limited to three shots, then we have to pass the bow off to our partner, wait for them to be done, then we get to shoot again. I hate this.

I want to be able to shoot in my own backyard. My father and I went around to some outdoor sporting places and all but ONE had archery equipment... And the one that did only had hunting bows, and maybe one or two types of what looked like longbows. They had all the arrows and pads and such, however. Also, to my dismay, they didn't have any form of targets or anything.

Where am I supposed to buy archery equipment? I live in Bergen County, NJ, if that helps.

As we were going home my father told me that a thought came to his mind. We have very arrogant neighbors who have a grudge against us, and if they saw us shooting with weapons in our backyard they would most likely report us to the cops. He offered to take me to a shooting range every weekend, but this doesn't work out for me. While I am eighteen, therefore a legal adult, my parents will not allow me to drive, meaning that they would be in control of when I can and cannot go to the range. This is not fair, and I would like to find some way to do it at home.

Does anyone know what the laws might be?

Also, in purchasing a bow, are you required to have a firearms license? From the store we went into that carried bows, it seemed that you had to possess a license in order to buy one.

Also, there is a law that says that if you are to buy firearms and are behind on your child support payments, you are not allowed to purchase firearms or accessories. Not that this affects me in any way, obviously, but WHY is this law in existence? It seems so controlling.

By any means, thank you for reading/giving me advice. =) Have a nice day everyone.

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the forum and glad to see you are getting into the sport...There are lots of places to get equipment...Where in Bergen are you...I'm about 90 miles north of you...maybe I can help you find a place.

Davis Sporting Goods in Sloatsburg used to sell alot
    http://www.davissport.com/ and I thought Ramsey Outdoors on Rt 17 had recurves and accessories...

Also try to contact these folks to help you get started

http://www.bergenbowmen.org/

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008

3. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

:welcome:
    ask all you want, these guys are pretty good at helping out

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Hi there

Ha Ed
    Can he go to the find archery shoots on this sight and type in his zip code
    and actually go to a shoot so he can see what its all about:rockon:
    I think everyone that is intrested should go to a shoot, to ask questions and see all the equipment 1st hand
    We had a couple of high school kids following us around last month asking questions and wanted in the sport, just like this newbe
    also:welcome: to the forum and ask all the question's you wish:wave:

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Absolutely...there are a few big clubs around him that have good shoots...

6. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Ask the local police about the laws in your area. I live in a small sub div. I shoot from my front yard to my targets beside my house. If I go across the road I can get 40 yards and no one says any thing. Just set it up so no way an arrow can get loose. Then show the police where you shoot. I have a 3/8 plywood arrow wrenching back stop so if I miss any targets they stop right behind them.
    As for getting set up. If you are not sure if you will like it enough to sink a ton of cash in. Buy used set up. I just bought a used recurve totally set up with every thing here for 150 shipped. So look around.

7. revelry

revelry New Member

I wrote this in another thread but I think it may be of some use to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There's nothing like archery. The power, the delicate touch, the concentration, I could go on. There's just something about using your own strength and focusing power, devastating power in the case of a bow and arrow. Actually, there's no greater power known to man that a person can generate and expend using only physical strength and solely dependent upon it. There is so much power in a bow and arrow that it creates a dead zone at the point of impact, wherever it's pointed. This is also why it makes a great sport as well as for hunting and battles. Nothing can touch a bow and arrow in terms of stealth strike capability, not even a gun with a silencer. Obviously, there is much more to archery then just merely flinging arrows like cupid. In Asia, especially Korea where archery has been a tradition for thousands of years, there are varying degrees of mastery like any other martial arts. Master archers can hit a bullseye at 140 meters. That's with a horsebow that has no cut away rest on it. You're getting into something good. Have fun.

Here are some places you can check out. They're all good. I'm sure you'll find everything you'll ever need.
    fsdiscountarchery.com
    www.k1-archery.com
    www.3riversarchery.com
    www.lancasterarchery.com
    www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com
    www.freddiebearsports.com
    www.reddinghardware.com
    www.archerywarehouse.com
    www.archerymarket.com
    www.outdoorexperience.com
    www.sportsmansguide.com
    www.huntersfriend.com
    www.redmondoutdoors.com

Lighter arrows are more flexible and heavier arrows are stiffer. Adjusting the grain to your bow makes a world of difference for your accuracy because you want the arrow to conform to your bow as much as possible before taking flight. So, if you have a heavy bow with a dead center rest then you would get a stiffer arrow. If you have a heavy bow with a past center rest, or no rest at all in some cases, then you would need a lighter arrow so it flexes around the portion of the riser it touches. This is also where vane clearance comes into play in terms of flight path but you'll have to compensate for that with your shooting unless you use feathers. There's also a degree of left offset (if you're right handed) when you use a finger release as opposed to a mechanical release. This too has to be taken into consideration. For arrows; wood breaks and is tempermental in varying weather over time, aluminum bends (more often than not), carbon is the best but most expensive (but you can find some serious deals if you do some serious digging, I found some for $25/dozen knocked with inserts).

I use a tab but when I'm shooting all day I use a three finger glove and a tab over it. Otherwise, my fingers get numb from shooting so much.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traditional bows, recurve and longbow, take real skill. Compounds shoot straight and that's it, except for the finger release degree offset. A compound is more like a crossbow except you shoot it with your fingers, but most people use a mechanical release with a compound. That's why only recurves are allowed in the olympics. There are target bows and hunting bows. You'll have to decide which is best for you. Target bows have longer risers and they're usually taller than hunting bows. Therefore, target bows tend to have a smoother draw. Hunting bows have shorter risers and stand shorter for maneuverability and pack a greater punch in a smaller package. They're also available in heavier draw weights than target bows to take down big game but stack faster than target bows. Maybe you'll get both later. I sure did. You'll also have to eventually get into making your own arrows to match your bow. A perfectly matched bow and arrow is essential. Don't worry, it's not that hard. It's alot of fun. All the different parts are sold separately and you have to mix and match everything and put it all together. Save your allowance, you're gonna need it. hehehe

And no, you don't need a license for archery but you do have to be over 18 in some states to be able to buy a bow. Also, get a bail of hay; straw, not alfalfa. They're like $6 for a giant one. They make excellent targets and the arrows pull out easily and they won't ruin your arrows. Stack a few and you'll have a big enough target so you won't be in danger of overshooting and missing your target.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008