Help me get better gas mileage

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by jimposten, Apr 14, 2008.

1. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

What tips and tricks have you used (and actually seen significant results) to get more miles for your $?

My truck is a crew cab Dodge 1500 with the small v8 (318) I get 14 city, 18 hwy... Not bad, but I wanna break the 20 mark any ideas?

JIM

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

with a 318 dodge.....your DOING VERY GOOD.....

I have a 3.9 V6 in my Dakota and I average 12city......15-16 highway....

DODGE is an awsome vehicle, BUT THEY ARE LAST WHEN IT COMES TO FUEL CONSUMPTION:mad:

3. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

Well, I have the Ford 5.4Ltr in both our Expedition and F-150

F-150 14 City 18 Hgwy

Exped 13 City 17 Hgwy

If I knew my friend I would be the first to let you know, but you are right there with the rest of us.

I once heard that there is some type of turbine that goes into the air filter flexible hose that is supposed to greatly increase the mileage, but I have no idea.

About six months ago my company released one of our jeep cherokees from the fleet. I bought it for $400 with 154,000 miles. It gets about 21 mpg with the 4.0Ltr straight six on rural roads. Try to find a beater for the long hauls that gets great milage.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

one of the news stations did a test on them things and a couple of the cars, actually got worse fuel milage:lol:

5. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

I get about the same mpg from my dakota with a 318...i figure it at 15 mpg total...not allowing for city and highway. This gas situation is getting old. :mad:

If your tires are properly inflated and you don't drive like a maniac, thats about all you can do. :Cry:

6. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Get a bike :noidea:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Schwin or HUFFY???

8. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I've driven a couple Dodge Dakotas and thought they sucked. :noidea:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

well then you havent driven mine.......

:noidea:

10. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

yeah, I can't wait to.

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

how bout this weekend......:noidea:

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I will bring the umbrella and meet you at your place.....:noidea:

13. chuck7413

chuck7413 Senior Member

I wish my 97 Ram with the 318 was getting mileage this good. I am getting about 13 mpg.

14. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

depending how old it is and how many miles you can try changing your o2 sensor. i canged mt and it made a big difference. just have someone you know do or do it yourself, if you take it in thell charge you like 300 bucks... you can do it yourself for 50 bucks maybe less.

15. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Roll down hill with a tail wind.

You seem to be getting pretty good milage. My 2000 5.9 gets about 11 around town and maybe 13 on the highway. I'm burning almost $100 a week just going to and from work.:pout:

16. SinGin

SinGin Banned

My 1998 Nissan Fronteir only gets about 20mpg. Thats not great for a 4 banger. The proper tire inflation idea and not driving like a race car driver is about the best ideas.

17. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

Better mpg

This is one that comes up a lot over here...especially from V8 drivers. Gas prices are sitting at about $1.40 per liter (About $5.30 per gallon).

As such these are the more conservative tips:
    • Drive conservatively....accelerating and decelerating gradually
    • Do not exceed 55 mph. Beyond that the wind resistance begins to really bite into fuel consumption (and it's not linear....it's faster)
    • Keep your tail gate UP or invest in a hard cover that encloses the bed. With the tailgate up...there is a pillow of air that circulates in the bed and reduces drag
    • Smaller mirror or more aerodynamic mirrors
    • Remove anything that acts as an "air dam". You can spot them if you stand in front of your truck and look at it in silhouette. Anything poking out is a suspect. (e.g. KC lights are big drag creators)
    • Narrow, properly inflated tires. Wider tires weigh more and generate much more heat than narrow tires. The heat is generated using energy transfer that started with the energy stored in your tank
    • Tune your engine regularly to ensure it's running optimally. Dirty air filters, fuel injectors, etc. etc. reduce the efficiency of your engine. Don't forget about timing and such.
    • Check out your exhaust system and the local laws. Each after market exhaust should give some idea about the impact on mpg
    • High performance = high fuel consumption. It's the law of conservation of energy. There's no getting around it. As such, trucks are tuned at a "trade off" point from the factory. Some companies sell after market chips for the computers that allow you to switch the tuning of your engine (sometimes with a switch, sometimes by changing chips). That means you can have your truck running a bit more sluggishly for day to day driving....or as a major gas sucker when you're chucking mud.
    • Weight: anything you can do to reduce the weight of your truck will help with gas mileage. If you always carry a sand bag around...remove it. Any extra bling that you replace with light weight alternatives will help (e.g. replacing a steel light bar with Aluminum). Even the hard cover mentioned above should be as light as possible. Running boards are heavier than step tubes, too.
    • Lubricate: Ensuring all joints in the drive train are well lubricated means less energy loss due to friction within the joints...which means more of the energy moves the truck forward.
    More extreme things (that I don't recommend...but have hear people mention):
    • Running engine on 4 or 6 cylinders. Apparently there is a kit available that rotates the cylinders used to maintain even wear while only operating a portion of the total cylinders. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me...but ya never know.
    • Boosting the octane of your fuel. Although additives generally cost more than the fuel they save.
    • Sealing the under carriage. While this is mostly on cars, I've seen kits to close out the under side of the car with the intent of reducing drag. I'm not convinced they have an impact that exceeds the weight they add to the car.
    • Aerodynamic "nose cones" for trucks. I've seen clear plastic aerodynamic "bug shields" that cover most of the front of your truck...but I think they'd just get you heckled and beat up by people without the sissy cone. :biggrin1:
    • Fuel preheater: I've also seen arrangements that route the exhause gasses to transfer head back to the fuel mixture and combustion chamber. Might add a couple of % efficiency to the thermal cycle...but unlikely to cover the high cost of adding the equipment.
    • Slicker is better: I know that at high speeds a very smooth and slick surface can reduce drag substantially, but at normal driving speeds I'm not confident it makes much of a difference. That said...this is just one more reason you can give people for spending so much time waxing your truck.
    Finally, avoiding short trips helps a lot, too, since that's where most fuel gets burned without necessity. If you can walk it in 15 minutes or so....leave the car at home.

Hopefully this has provided some help. Good luck.

18. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

k&n air filter up to 10% more mpg

19. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

Well I guess I am not doing to bad... I have about everything mentioned covered... Fresh tune up, nitronized properly inflated tires, fiberglas toneau, and i drive like an old man. I was happy with the 18 on my last road trip, but It got me thinking mabey the 20mpg is possible... I had a dodge 2500 cargo van that suprisingly hit 24mpg on road trips, but it was just a 6 cyl.

Jennis Carvan only gets us 24 on the hwy.

JIM

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

dude, its Dodge, either your cool and drive a dodge, or you drive something else and get better MPG's:noidea: