help, need to prepare old bear recurve for hunting

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Deer Hunter, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter Junior Member

I have a bear Kodiak Hunter #55 from 1970-72... I've been shooting a lot of arrows with it lately and the string just broke while firing an arrow. I have only had the string for less than a year and don't understand why it broke now. However, I want to go get another string and accessorize this bow for hunting. It has Amo - 60" listed on it and I'm not sure what this means. Anyways I need to get a new string and I want to maximize the most power I can get from this bow, should I concentrate on light and fast arrows for more kinetic energy or more mass for greater momentum? And does different string lengths affect the power of the bow? please all advise welcomed.

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I have always been told to take the AMO length and subtract 4" so a 56" string should do it.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup thats what I heard also......

4. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

I always read it's 4" less but then when I got a couple strings that were 4" less you couldn't even put a twist in the thing to get the brace height right, so now it's 3 1/2" and they work much better. I have read that 3 1/2" number as well.

5. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter Junior Member

how do you know proper brace height and what does it do for the shot?

6. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

Hey Deer Hunter,

Where did your string break? I have a Bear Super Kodiak and the top loop frays on mine. Just curious.:wave:

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,Deer hunter!

I shoot Recurves too.
    60 amo is what you need to ask for when you get a new string a 60amo string.
    The string will be 58inch's long take a tape measure with you,take it out of the package and measure it to make sure its right.
    The arrow weight thing is a matter of preferance!
    I shoot a 55lb PSE Talon Recurve Takedown and i shoot a 28&1/4 inch Easton XX75 2213 for target and hunting.
    Ive also tried 2216 and 2117 but the lighter 2213 is more accurate to me with less drop.
    Its a light shaft so i use a sharp lead cutting edge broadhead the Steelforce Sabertooth 100gr.
    Ill post a pic of my bow after a tournament in augest!:biggrin1: