help with new target bow

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by glyn, Nov 22, 2006.

1. glyn

glyn Junior Member

i am going to go down to the pro shop friday to order a bow but really still don't know which one to get. i know i want a hoyt. the problem i have is that i am left handed and they don't have any of lefty's up there. i shoot a pse beast right now for hunting and target but i want my first real target bow. so should i get a vectrix, 38 ultra, or an elite. to tell the truth, i have only ever shot the trykon and liked it. i have been with pse for a while and there mach x looks very nice too as a target bow. i need help with getting a bow without shooting it.

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Thats tough I would hate to buy a bow without first shooting it. As I stated on here in another thread I do like the Pro-Elite but thats just me.:noidea: I hope everything turns out great for you. I would wait on some of our resident HOYT boys to chime in as I have only shot a few hoyts. :peace:

3. Frank

Frank Member

If you liked the Trykon you will really like the Vectrix. For a target bow Order the vectrix XL, longer ata. I do know that model is selling like hot cakes at a local pro shop.

4. glyn

glyn Junior Member

i think that i am going to go with the XL. i still hate ordering one without shooting it. i don't know, maybe i will just wait until after the first of the year.???

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

are you ordering a target bow or a pretty bow.....what kind of target shooting? Indoor, feild, 3-d?

6. glyn

glyn Junior Member

well, i am still new to the whole 3D, target, indoor thing. but i would say all of them:peace: i want the black one.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Get a regular vectix.....

8. glyn

glyn Junior Member

why,? what is different other than the ATA and brace hight

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

not much and in todays bow world you do not need the extra ata to have an accurate bow....

10. glyn

glyn Junior Member

cool, i think shorter bows look cooler anyway:rockon:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

they also dont hit branches as much on the release should they put your stake under a tree.....

12. tek

tek Senior Member

If you are going to use it for indoor and 3Ds you might want to think about a more all around bow. Take the 38 Ultra, with a 7.5" brace and 38" a/a it will make a pretty decent indoor bow but it will still have good speed when changing to a 3D setup. Or the Vectrix XL, good brace and 36" a/a, not a bad all around bow also.

I use a Protec Xt2000 for just about everything, but its not speedy at my short draw length. This year I used a Trykon XL for 3Ding and loved it. Shot it almost as good as the more forgiving Protec but its faster for 3Ds.

I'm also left handed so I feel your pain in buying bows when you can not shoot them before hand. I do it every year. One thing about Hoyts is that they offer different grips and side plates for most of the bows for around $20.

Oh, a black bow is my favorite too :biggrin1:

13. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

if you are using a release the short ata is ok. the finger shooters are the ones that need the long ata.