Help with sight adjustment

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Joe L, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Joe L

Joe L Junior Member

On my new bow I have installed a 3 pin sight. It seems on my Bowtech Tribute that it may be necessary only to use 2 pins. Is it wise to say, sight one pin in at 15yrds and maybe the 2nd at 30yrds? The greatest distance I feel comfortable shooting would be in the 30-35yrd range TOPS. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Joe

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

what kind of shootin are you gonna be doing? HS

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

0-35 yrds.....sight in 20 and 30.....hold dead on at anything under 20......hold dead on from 30-35...the difference in impact point will be so slight its not even worth considering......I would set that sight up....20-30-40.....or 25-35-45......will you be going to 3-d shoots????

4. Joe L

Joe L Junior Member

Hunting as of now but, 3d is starting to interest me. My eyesight is not as superduper as it used to be and it seems I have a better sight picture with some space between the pins, which is my reasoning for just using 2 pins and dropping the other to the bottom if needed someday.

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I set all my sights up 20 - 30 - 40 -...

if you start using weird yardages it makes you think more before you shoot and you have to remember crap... basically it causes problems :)

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I agree...20-30-40...is the way to go

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

you better stop agreeing with me or you'll be seen as one of my groupies :rockon:

8. Holy Smokes

What's it feel like to be the site Guru Dreadly? ::hail: :hippie: HS

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Better to agree with you than...you know who...

10. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Now that's funny!!! :laugh: :decision:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

no it aint......

Dredly adds to signature "I am the 3dshoots.com guru" cus holy smokes said so

12. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I would do 20-30-40, I would also shoot 35 yards, and use your 30 yard pin just to see how low it will hit. Its really up to you as what works the best for what you want to do. But id say the norm is every 10 yards.

13. Joe L

Joe L Junior Member

Thanks, 20 30 40 it is

14. Holy Smokes

I do not shoot much 3D with pins but during the last month I shoot my hunting setup/ Here I like a 35 yd pin for a lot of the shots are 32 to 37 yds. I also hunt the same way 10 20 30 35 40 50 . I ain't never shot anything over 40 and I knew the yardage then. I harvested both of them. HS

15. Joe L

Joe L Junior Member

Been practicing and noticed on thing, well at least for me, the level on the bottom of my site is important. :doh: I AM sure the more experienced figured this out quickly but, I'm a bit slow. Once I started glancing at the level and held my bow level, things flied better at longer distances.
    Anywho thanks for the suggestions, Joe

16. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

I thought when bowhunting you should never shoot past 35 yds MAX

17. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Thats only if you shoot a bowtec......... thier only good out to 35...... lol just kidding, alot of things can go wrong with a longer shot, If your a good shot, your equipment is working, and everything is right, you can go out to 50+ sometimes. also depends on what your hunting. and how experianed you are.....how qiuet is you bow.... some people will tell you 35 or 40 should be the max... but everyone is differnt.... closer is better..... heated subject.