Help with Target Panic

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by STRO, Feb 8, 2007.

1. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Does anyone have any advice on how to correct my target panic. After I draw I bring bow up to the target and I get locked in right under the twelve ring. It's like I am froze there. I've thought about sighting my bow in so it will shoot a little high and just deal with the target panic that way. But I would rather solve this problem rather then just masking the problem. Help me please!!!!!!!

2. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

Bring from the top down and see if that helps any

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I shoot w/my pin right under where I want to hit.....the pin always settled there so thats where I left it.....

I have been shooting that way for almost 2 years......

4. STRO

So are you saying your arrow hits higher then where your pin is locked in at or your aiming point?

5. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Boys it sure is funny how a little piece of paper can spook up a big ol boy. Just focus on your form go through the proceedure in your head before the shoot and then during the shot and bingo your mind is where it belongs in your head to your body and not up at that little ol piece of paper. HS :smokin:

Ahummmm Coach HS:biggrin1:

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I have heard of guys where when they done this the problem just kept getting worse and worse. They were having to hold way below the target to adjust for it. My experience was lots and lots of blind bailing followed by about 2 weeks of the 5 yard drill then 10 yard drill. Just have to retrain you brain. Trust me though as boring as blind bailing is it is a great excercise. Here are a couple of articles that helped alot which was written by Griv(George Ryals IV). Good luck I hope this helps you out.

7. STRO

Thanks for the advise, it looks like I may have a lot of work cut out for me to break this habit. Although, I have found with my new vectrix xl that it shoots so well that i can close my eyes when I shoot and drill the 12 ring everytime.:laugh:

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

shoot with your eyes closes :noidea:

9. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

That is if you do not want to shoot many x's:laugh: :laugh:

Hey that is some good advice but remember You are the master not that little piece of paper. HS

10. Bustn Noks

Bustn Noks Junior Member

Blind Bailing

This looks like good advice to me. Take your sight off, or close your eyes and Work on form and follow through.
    What type of release do you shoot. Some releases are very easy to punch, some very difficult. Sometimes, for some people, just getting away from the index finger trigger can help.
    Practice aiming, do not shoot. Draw your bow, with arrow nocked and aim for 10 to 15 seconds. Let down. Give it 20 seconds. Repeat. 30 times
    Not much fun, I know. This will teach you many things, and will link brain and muscle. You will find that you can put your pin on the target and hold it there. Do not shoot when doing this drill.
    Do this for a few days and then you can move into combineing this drill with the blind bale shooting drill. It is very important to close your eyes before initiating your shot. Sequence would be draw-aim-1-2-3-4-5 close eyes and pull through shot- follow through.
    Many other methods around and the one that works for you may not work for the next guy.
    Good luck with it.

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah HS... That paper is not going to hurt you, right ? No need to panic... Simple !
    :laugh:

Ron

12. STRO

I do notice more target panic when I'm shooting a piece of paper versus a 3-d target. It's that little black dot. It should be so easy, put your pin on the dot and shoot.

13. Allen

Allen Senior Member

I can tell you first hand that the program that George lays out will work, but only if you don't rush it.

My form of TP was flintching. And I am still at 10 yards.

Good luck,
    Allen