Hey Guys

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by bubbler, Feb 17, 2008.

1. bubbler

bubbler GOD...FAMILY...OUTDOORS

HEY all....its my first post here and the forum looks great.
    i have been shooting recurve bows for 6 months now and want to get a compound bow...i have a draw length of 30 inches...
    im 6 foot 2 and pretty strong.....is a 60-70lb bow too heavy...
    the pow im looking at is the pse nova..

thanks fr all the help....
    god bless

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

First of all :welcome: to the forum... I used to shoot alot of high poundage bows several years ago but with the advances in bow and arrow designs these days a bow that maxes out at 60lbs is really all you need... :noidea:

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

:welcome: hope you enjoy it here. We are all pretty friendly around here. As for the bow poundage. I would stick with 60# limbs. Most bows will probably max out a few pounds higher which will be plenty. Good Luck and have fun.

4. bubbler

bubbler GOD...FAMILY...OUTDOORS

what if i get a bow that maxes at 70 pounds..:noidea:

5. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

:welcome: and the Nova is not a bad bottom end bow. But I think you can find better around the same price as a new nova.

6. Bullrider115

Bullrider115 New Member

I agree with everyone here!!! 60# is plenty for whitetail, turkey and even elk with the right set up.

Also, shop around. set yourself a budget, it is easy to get carried away in this sport!! Look at new and used, shoot a bunch of different brands and models. Be happy with your choice don't let your choice be happy with you.

:welcome:

7. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

This is more of a personal choice on your part. Depending also on what you are planning to use the bow for.IMO if you are planning to shoot the bow in the lower 60# area then you are better to get the 50/60lbs max limbs as I feel it is better to shoot the bow with the limbs toward the max. If speed is your thing then the 60/70 lbs range is your best bet. For deer hunting I prefer to shoot at the 60# level. (actually I shoot at 58 lbs. now). With the speed of the bows now days it more than get's-er-done. Your shoulders and elbows will thank you for it in years to come.

Welcome to the forum:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

8. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

check classifieds first!

:welcome: also i think you should check out the classifieds here, great deals on a high end year or two old bows,much better than a pse nova.....:welcome:

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome...
    And another vote for 60#.
    The nova is a great entry level bow, I still have mine...I recommend looking at a little better bow if you can afford an extra $100-200. I wish I had, I upgraded bows after a year...