Hitting a wall

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by trussoni, Mar 3, 2008.

1. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

I seem to be hitting a wall or something. I havent been shooting for very long and my shooting has improved immensely but I just cant seem to get over the hump. Before I shoot I go through the following process in my head. Is my anchor point where I want it, are my peep and my sight aligned correctly, loosen my grip as I aquire the target, say my abcs and steady my breathing and then squeeze the release. All that is great and maybe I am expecting too much or something but I still can not for the life me hit 3xs in a row from 20 yards. I struggle with aquiring my target (which I hope will clear up with my new Ninja Fighting Sword when it arrives). I know Rome wasnt built in a day and a year ago at this time I had never even not once flung an arrow but letting loose with around a hundred arrows a day for the past two months and flinging them all summer long you would think I would be able to group 5 arrows in a row in that lil old circle wouldnt ya? Any lil tricks that anyone knows would be a great help.

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

RELAX!!!
    When I get all stressed about the little things I shoot worse. When I relax and just try to 'feel' all those little things as a whole, I do better. Sorry, I don't know how to explain it.

When I go through everything one by one, I usually miss something that is very important to shooting accurately.

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

trussoni, welcome to Archery....:peace: I have said many times that Archery can be one of the most enjoyable and one of the most frustrating hobby's a person can have. What I would recomend is this stop thinking so much.... practice your form until you develop muscle memory. What that translate to is everything is automatic. Start off by doing an excersize called blank bailing... take your site off your bow get in front of a backstop with not visible target and just focus on drawing your bow and anchoring then let down. Do this until you get comfortable hitting your anchor point consistantly. Do this for a minimum of a few days. Next step involves the blank bail again same process but start executing the shot. Do this for a few days at close range to the target butt. Do not worry about aiming at all. After you do that for a few days put your site back on and shoot from 10 yards. And do not move from that spot till you are consistantly drilling X's. When you can move back in 5 yard increments. Man I wish I could do this...:doh: It's not much fun but it will work...:peace:

4. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

It is all in your mind. Try this a few times and see if it helps. I helped me get past over thing the shot. Get all set, draw, anchor, set the pin on the target, then when you are ready to pull the trigger. Close your eyes and squeeze the trigger. You will see if every thing is done right your brain will take over and center the shot. Your brain we always aim for the center. There are not tricksto shooting better.2 years in and I am not past 295 yet at 20 yard vegas 3 spot.

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Exactly.............:wave:

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

t you can difinently tell these guys ain't pros
    Qsa comes tha closes yet
    Just close your eyes and shoot:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. JDX--

JDX-- Member

You’re probably a little more then an hour away, if you need any additional help let me know

JDX-- :peace:

8. Holy Smokes

Noticed your atavar sig
    what flavor of martial arts and wht style do you study

9. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

Sounds like your getting enough practise in....maybe you need a little help in your set up and form....:wave:

Sounds like a solid offer from JDX......

10. Holy Smokes

T all these fellars have given you some really good advise
    it is alot form in this sport just like hitting a ball or shooting one
    Archery is a 2 point pressue system
    you have pressure on the bow and relaese arm
    if the pressue is the same on each then the arrow will fly straight
    to much on the bow hand and it goes to the right to much on the release hand and it goes to the L
    here is where back tension BT comes intio play
    your shoulder blades must be put togetrher and held there to accomlipish even back pressure BT
    heres an easy way to do this
    after you have drawn and got your bowhand and elbow into position and relaxed you relaese hand you want to think about putting a slight pressue on your bow hand thumb
    next the release arm
    think bout putting pressure on your elbow tip
    the key here is to think about it not accutally doing it. this will help those shoulder blades to git in an even position
    you can try to feel them and keep it there if you like
    but just thinking the pressure at the to points up front are a good way to do this
    hope this helps you to git a handle on bt
    part of your form:bowl: :dizzy: :biggrin1:

11. trussoni

Smokes the ninja thing is simply a joke. I would like to say that I have studied like judo or something but truth be told it stems from a post on here. I started a thread titled "Ordered a Sword" because I ordered a Sword sight. Bunnyman left a post asking if it was for fighting ninjas so I kind of borrowed the ninja thing and used it as a quote or whatever the avatar. I am going to try the closing my eyes thing and see what happens. I am willing and able to follow all sorts of advice here so keep it coming and thank you to all who have posted so far.

12. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

13. trussoni

QSA, thank you for the advice I will try it next time I shoot up in the loft.
    Wheely thanks relaxing is a problem for me. God forgot to give me the patience gene.JDX not sure if you are about an hour from me physically or if you simply meant an hour away from getting my form down. Let me know either way and thanks.BH thanks for the input.Bullfiddle the only other things more frustrating are kids and women that I can tell so far. I wont post individual replys like this all the time but all of the advice is very much appreciated and thank you to Gator too just so you dont feel like I didnt give you props or something.

14. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

Try the closing your eyes thing from 5 or 10 yards....I think doing it from 20 is asking for you to lose some arrows or put holes in the fence :peace:

15. trussoni

it could literally be hitting a wall in this case. this is where me and some friends shoot almost every day.

16. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I would be curious to know more about the aquiring a target. Are you having trouble getting the pin on the bullseye?

17. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Maybe you should take a break from shooting??:noidea:
    Sometimes when I get all nervous or think to much a break for a week or two helps. I think it clears my mind enough that I feel like I am starting over when I pick up that bow again. I actually shoot better when I don't shoot alot :noidea:

I have always had the beginners luck thing:D

18. trussoni

Depends on the day. I have diabetes and that tends to mess with my eyesight for some reason. At the moment I am waiting on a lensed sight that I ordered and I am hoping that will clear it up for lack of a better phrase. I also realized that I am shooting with a clarifier in my peep while im waiting for the new sight. Its been pretty fuzzy the last couple days so maybe that is adding to it i dont know. My groupings generally arent bad my fletching cost is increasing greatly as i shoot more and more.

19. trussoni

If i dont shoot i will go nuts. I have five kids and five grandchildren and it honest to God keeps me halfa$$ed sane.

20. JDX--

JDX-- Member

Big T

Marshfield WI.

JDX--