Holy Worthless Bow batman!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dredly, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I was considering selling my Old Glory to get a shorter A2A hunting bow and so I was doing some price shopping... mine is an 05, so in 2 years it has dropped almost 60% of its original value. When new these things were selling right around 750.00, now if you are lucky you may get 350 and I've seen some going for less.

It looks to be pretty standard across the board though, not just mine...

Current year - 100 - 150 off list price
    1 year old (06) = 200 - 300 off the list price
    2 years old (05) = 300 - 400 off the list price
    3 year old+ sell it for 200 - 300 and count yourself lucky.

Almost all the 05 bows I'm seeing that originally sold for 700+ are in the 300 - 400 range for bare bow

Almost all the 06 bows I'm seeing are in the 450 - 550 range for bare bow

Almost all the 07's are in the 600+ range (depending on original cost)

So if my math is correct (which it probably isn't)

If you spent 700.00 on a bow, the second you walk out of the store you lose 14%

If you use it through 1 season you have now lost between 28 - 42% of the value. thats over

If you keep it for 2 years you will have lost 42% - 57% of the value

If you keep it for more then 2 years you will be lucky to recover a third of the purchase price. (up to or beyond 71% loss depending on price sold)

Granted some bows hold their value a little better. For example Mathews Switchbacks are still selling in the 450 - 500 range but the loss percentage is still pretty close (750 starting price)

Pretty amazing if you ask me. This industry moves so fast that the items it spit out are disposable, after 4 years there is no market for your bow anymore, and at 3 you are really pushing the limit.

2. J.C.

J.C. Active Member

unfortunately there's a lot of guys shooting who'll dump their almost brand new bow off for half price to get a quick sale. They need the fast cash for "that next great bow" that's gonna make them a better shooter.:doh:

It sure does kill the resale market.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I bought an target color 03 icon in 05 for 400 shipped

I just sold it in 07 for 350 plus shipping.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry.....

you should have bought a mathews:rockon:

4. steve bear

steve bear Member

in 2 mo that will be a 3yr old bow.....i have one...only gave $450.in 05.

5. hduc2005

hduc2005 Senior Member

It's best to just keep it as a back up or find a club looking for bows and donate

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Target colors appear to add about 50 worth of value to the bow generally speaking... once it gets past that 4 year mark though they are all equally undesirable from the looks of it.

And as I mentioned... some bows do better but generally speaking... most are in that range unless you get an awesome deal.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

maybe it has to do w/the fact that your left handed and freakishly tall and ........funny looking.......:lol: :lol:

8. Ok if this is the case, and i believe it to be, then why would just about anyone buy a new bow? Dont the lifetime guarantee's last well lifetimes? Or are they not always transferable.....

I was looking to wait till next year to buy a guardian, or a this year new bow mainly becuase of the price drop....

Is it just because people want the newest thing on the market?

9. J.C.

J.C. Active Member

yep........

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Actually left handed bows appear to hold their value longer but they don't sell as quick due to less competition.

11. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Got an Alpine for FREE in 2000 and it was recently sold for $350 :biggrin1:

....Ok, it was free to me, but cost somewhere in the $400-$500 range I think

12. diamondman

diamondman Guest

yes, and here, where i am from..

they are worth even LESS. I am currently in the market for a 2005 bowtech allegiance, because i want one with the orignal bimary cams.. granted new the bow was $700 retail in our shop.. I will not pay more than $300 for a bare bow in pristine condition. the mathews dealer up the street took in a used outback this morning, with mint and nearly new accessories, and the guy only got $225 on trade in, and the dealer is asking $325 for it. brand here makes no difference, with that in mimd, here is what we see:
    '03 & older: worth at BEST $250 retail
    '04 worth $300
    '05 worth $350-400
    '06 worth $450-500 depending on model and condition.

now this is the higher priced bows. (high end) the bowtech dealer had a customer come in yesterday, and a guy had an elite envy. brand new, NEVER shot. this is a 2007 model. the guy wanted a straight trade on a guardian, and a sight and rest.. doable most of you may say, right.. WRONG! the dealer said $600, the box was opened, and even if it wasnt, still $650.. the guy took him up on the offer, now the shop is selling it for $750 and says he is still going to have to push to sell it.

I am personally guilty as charged. I have had 17 new bows this year alone. I get them at cost, and turn around and sell them for $50-75 more than I paid, just so i can try something new. seldom do i keep a bow more than 2 weeks.

whats the draw length on the old glory? i am in the market for a 2005 old glory or allegiance still.. I have a 2007 bowtech guardian, 50-60 pounder in realtree hardwoods green HD camo, thats at most 3 weeks old up for grabs..

13. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

some buy and shoot for a while to find they are not comfortasble with it and want to try something else.... unfortunately no one will let you shoot for a week or two before you buy.....

i had my first bow 15 years, my 2nd one 5 years... sold for same as i bought it for.... cheap bows sell to new folks due to cheap bows a few years later cost more...does that even make sense :noidea: , my 3rd one 3 years, lost 150.00, my 4th one 1 year , only lost 50.00 .... and now who knows i just shot this one for the 1st time wednesday......

14. diamondman

diamondman Guest

unless you get the blank warranty card, the warranty is non transferrable. our local mathews dealer sends in the warranty info on every one they sell. the buyer needs to fill out the card and leave it there, or the shop does it for them. they also keep a record of every bow bought there, (name, current address, model, and serial number for reasons of a few years ago, so many bows were stolen, sadly enough it started with mine) so they send in the warranty info that same day or the next day. the reason: "this way its harder for them to sell and keeps the business in my shop instead."

15. diamondman

diamondman Guest

it does make some sence.. this is how it works for us.. pardon my honesty here.. we only special order the "lower end, low priced bows" this way, when a customer comes in, especially this time of the year, they usually want it now thather than worry about budget, so guess what, i get to sell them a high dollar bow. then, i can take in their lower priced bow in on a trade. get a person later to come in, want to buy it, granted now i have a nice used bow all set up, that "looks" the same more or less as the high end new ones still make a killing on it, bu getting a newbie in the store. it happens every day. literally. (the best example is the diamond rapture, i took an '06 in on trade, all loaded up with real nice stuff on it, guy wanted a black ice, i did $200 on the trade-in all loaded, later the same day, a person came in, needed a bow, didnt have a ton to spend.. I showed him the used rapture i took in, he saw it all loaded up, and that it was similar to the triumph, and i sold it for $500) plus then arrows and a release and case on top of it. if someone wants to do a trade in, myself, and others around here give extreamly little or in my case more or less nothing for accessories left on a bow. truthfully, it really is a cruel market out there.

as for lefty stuff around here, most dealers wont even take them in. here, us and the mathews dealer are the only ones that will take trade-ins. I wont even take a lefty, unless its atleast one of a few selevted '05 models, or an '06 and i am going to offer very little. because i have to get lucky to be able to sell them around here.

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I don't know of any shops around here that even take trade ins. One will put the bow on the rack for you, they get a % of the sale price and if anything happens to it (ie dryfire) then the person takes it back.

Another will let you write up on a board what you have for sale w/ a contact number

17. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

around here they will let you hang it and get full price as long as you are buying another from them once it sells..... 2 nights ago a man wanted to sell his allegiance... fully loaded... shot less than 200 times.... (looked new) wanted 550.00 for it... it was put on the rack for 600.00 so it had some negotiating power and the dealer told him as soon as it sells he can take the money and oput down on the new bow he wanted.....

18. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Big D I just sold a Switchback XT on ebay for 660. O6 modle.

Bare.:biggrin1:

19. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

You got pretty lucky then :)

As I mentioned, there are some bows that still sell well. As you'll notice I even called out the Switchback (original). The XT would be more as its newer so I WAS RIGHT! :lol:

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you sold your XT????????????????