Home improvment question...

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by NerdHick, Apr 7, 2008.

1. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

I have a dishwasher under the counter and I want to take it out to check behind it...mice is the reason I want to check behind it and I'm not sure if you can just pull it out or are they attached back there or something?

Never worked on one or anything like that so I thought I'd ask...

Anyone?

Thanks!

2. gobbleinwoods

gobbleinwoods SCP4Lover of wool

they can be pulled out as that is how they were put in. depending on the electric and water hook up you may not have alot of clearance to do much at the back of cabinet hole without disconnecting the unit.

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

There might be some sort of bracket in the front of the machine that attaches to your counter top..... Just sayin...:peace:

4. gobbleinwoods

gobbleinwoods SCP4Lover of wool

as Brad points out--mine does have two screws that attach to the counter. depending on the type of floor you might also put something down to prevent the scratches or tearing of floor material

5. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

Yeah, there should only be a couple screws in the top front but other than those, it should rip right out. Have fun stuffing in back in that hole.

6. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

Thanks guys...

What would be a good thing to protect the floor? I've got hardwood floors in the kitchen, cardboard or towel or something??

7. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

just tape down a large cardboard box or something I'd say, cause you can't lift it, you have to pull straight out.

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

a good soft blanket......MICE HMMM Nerdy we need to talk buddy....

9. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

:confused: :noidea:

10. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

I gots the mice and one is dead in the wall somewhere...I need to make sure they aren't getting in behind the dishwasher...one came running out from under it and my wife went through the roof!

11. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Buy a snake!

12. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

I would like to stay in the house...

I would rather have the mice...my wife on the other hand would not like either!

13. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Or a cat? I know steel wool works, if you have a hole they are coming through pack that baby with some steel wool.

14. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

I do the steel wool trick where I can...they don't like to eat through it...

the house is OLD and was retro-fitted with baseboard heating and when they did it they never covered the holes around the pipes that went through the walls...talk about a highway for those little critters! The steel wool works great for that...

15. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Try telling people that that smell is the leftover cabbage you had for dinner last nite.:lol: I used this till I could find the dead mouse.:dizzy:

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

so whats up with the steel wool??

I may get enough to do the WHOLE house:lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

nah...the snake would kill the mice and mice are just as important and valuable as any other animal in this world and thus, killing one just because they are sleeping in your dishwasher would be unethical based on what I've read on here today.

With that said, just keep putting cheese around the outside of your house, eventually they will move out of the dishwasher.

18. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Mice won't chew through steel wool, they may just find another hole!:doh: If you know where they are getting in pack it with some steel wool and shut the door on them little bast**ds. I helped a guy do some remodeling one summer on a rental property and that was his fix for mice...:noidea:! It seems pretty bootleg but it works....

19. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Just watch... depending on who put it in and when your dishwasher may actually sit lower then the hardwood... especially if it was done afterwards (ie: lineloum (sp) was down first)

just pulling it out may not work correctly if this is the case, good luck :)

20. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

Thanks for the input everyone...I'm planning on taking it out tonight, I'll take pics and let ya know how it works out!