How carbon arrows are made?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by tnts79, Sep 22, 2007.

1. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Anyone have any good links to a site with information on how carbon arrows are made?? Manufacturing processes? I'm preparing a case study and am having a hard time finding good material. Thanks

2. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I would think that your best bet would be to locate a person that works at one of those places.Would be interesting to know.Might understand them better.

3. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Well basically, just alternating layers of longitudinally oriented fibers and biased oriented layers,(4 longitudinal and 2 biased) held together with a thermoplastic binding resin. The camo arrows are wrapped in a semi-elastic camo full length wrap.
    Three different types of arrows
    Pultruded(unidirectional fibers, require outserts)
    Cross-Weave (alternating layers of fibers, use inserts)
    Hybrids Aluminum Graphite Composites (easton A/c/c)

In a nutshell!

4. IChim2

I may have been mislead but i always heard they had to stop the process and reload the machine...this was the main cause of spline issues....is that correct.

5. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I haven't been able to find good details as to the actual manufacturing techniques, just that its a continuous winding process in which the angle between fibers can be changed depending on spine weight. Also the resinoid binding agent used depends on the spine weight of the arrow. :hail: Thank god their engineers got it figured out! I should post this on AT, i'm sure I could get some geniuses on there to give me a response! :argue:

6. IChim2

I bet you would get more that that.I've read my share of those arrow wars over there.LOL