How do you measure hunting success??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by poorman, Aug 10, 2007.

1. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

We all want to kill a big buck. But how do you really measure success? I mean...... Not one time have either of my kids or wife asked me when I pulled in with a deer in the truck, what does it score? They are happy that I have had a successful hunt and congratulate me and are truly happy. For me that is how I measure success. Seeing the smiles on all of our faces is better than 150" of antler any day.:D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

did my heart pound at all???

if it did and i didnt get a deer, its still a successful hunt....

If your heart is pounding and you are sure that the world could hear it, its a success......

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Hunting!

If im just in the woods,im happy!
    The woods is my church & my Treestand is my pullpit!
    And i can see all that the creator has made for me to see while im still alive!
    And to see these things and to make choices in killing or not and just watching is in my hands.
    He gave these things to me!:amen:

4. red44

red44 Senior Member

If I had to get a deer to have it be successful I would have quit a long time ago. In fact if it was a slam dunk every time it would feel no better than grocery shopping with a heck of a lot more work. I say this because many years I was lucky to see a deer, let alone get a shot off. Mabey I appreciate it more now that our deer numbers are up. I'll tell you it's hard letting one walk after the "dark" years, but it really gets the heart rate going, and no dragging.:peace:

5. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

Measured by how full the freezer is!

6. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

If you had a good time... Whether you had a kill or not~!!!!!

7. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

i am new to archery hunting and have much to learn however i have been hunting for 30 plus years and success to me is being outdoors and seeing the wonderful views God has created and allowed me to enjoy.

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Simply put.....Bowhunting

9. outdoorsman

i said new to archery hunting... oops... sorry, new to formal info regarding archery is more like it i have hunted many years off and on and picked it up strong several years ago ..... so what i was trying to say was i am new here but success to me is what i said..... now that everyone is confused..... hello all...... :wave:

10. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

:welcome: outdoorsman. Hope you enjoy it here and I understand where your coming from:biggrin1:

11. outdoorsman

12. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

Success is enough meat in the freezer to last another year.:peace:

13. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I think just having the time to get out and hunt is successful. Filling my freezer is just a bonus.

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup.......

15. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

as long as its fun its succesful about 130"s of antler help make it that much sweeter though

16. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Getting out there and enjoying the beautiful nature that God has given us is fabulous and I consider anytime spent in nature is a success.

17. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Now that i've gotten older it's not a do or die thing anymore as it was when i was a lot younger.I've taken more than my share of game and have gotten a little soft with my thoughts.Some of my best hunts in the past 10 years didn't involve killing anything....just watching it was good enough...Don't get me wrong.I'm a serious hunter and thats why i hunt by my self, but when it doesn't pan out their's always tomorrow.Nothing like being in a tree stand when nature starts to turn the light on.

18. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

A successful hunt is:

I enjoyed it.
    Saw some game.
    Discovered new things.
    Seen great scenery.

Need not kill something. Would be nice though.

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Lots of what you guys said...

- Being outdoors
    - Being in a serene environment (no 'pissy' people)
    - Shooting the arrow(s)
    - Meat in the freezer
    - Cooking on the grill
    - Deer/Cheese/Jalapeno sausage for the holidays and the months thereafter !

Good thing season is coming up because I don;t have much sausage left... It was a lean year last year...:cool:

Ron

20. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

in my 3 years i have not shot a deer yet but i consider myself sucessful because each season i learn something i can fix for next year.