How far is too far

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by trussoni, Mar 29, 2008.

1. 40 yards

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. 45 yards

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. 50 yards

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. a half mile if the wind is right

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

Been sighting in my bow it seems like forever. I am constantly changing this or that so it is a daily thing. Yesterday I finally got around to the last pin on my site, fifty yards. I got it set never shot that far before in my life to be honest with you. It went well the Drenalin purred like a kitten as it pumped out shot after shot. After I was done shooting and cuddling my bow and telling her how sweet she was and the such I realized. Why am I sighting in at 50? I dont think I would shoot a deer that far and I really doubt if anyplace I would shoot would have a fifty yard target.
    So how far of a shot does a person consider unethical? I was shooting fifty and hitting vitals on the target so.....

2. JDX--

JDX-- Member

This question in the past has opened many cans of worms and started many pissing matches, this tends to because many people have their own opinion on what is a ethical shoot on an animal. This a lot of times reflects to the area in which these individual live in an what type of animal and size of animal they are used to hunting.
    Out west or even some of the open mid western states people will tend to be used to shooting longer distances because of the terrain and say hunting antelope or mulies the whole layout is different and in they train hard to accommodate the longer shots necessary versus some one that’s able to harvest the majority of his whitetails within 20 yards all his life
    So it comes down to where you live what you are hunting and how you were brought up to hunt that can dictate what or how you where taught is acceptable

If I were you I would keep the 50 use it to practice the farther you can shoot and shoot consistent will help your fine-tune your form or shot process and then will make a 20 or 30 yard shot seem easy but keep in mind that don’t let yourself think it’s an gimmy shot and get sloppy theses are the one’s that cost us the most, the easy ones that we gave away.
    Shoot the distance you are very confident in while hunting and keep in mind there will be a few seconds of time from the time your mind commits to the shot till the time of the arrow hitting the animal as your distance increases.

I hope this helps :peace:

JDX--

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

WELL THERE YOU GO......he nailed this one...:rockon:

4. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Depends on the individuals ability and ranges he practices at.

5. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

personally i wouldnt shoot over forty yards i have friends that will launch further but to me forty is almost too far unless the shot is a real good one.

6. jkcerda

jkcerda the GOON squad POSEE

there you go, this should have been an option.

everybody is different, i can shoot at 80 yds, & hit the foamies,but I hunt 45 max.

45 is very comfortable to me, I will not shoot a live animal past that, foamies no problem.

7. SinGin

SinGin Banned

50 yard practice shots makes a 20 yard shot at a deer feel like a chip shot.

8. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

I have killed a deer at 47 yards, and one at 44 yards, but those are the two farthest almost everything else has been 30 yards or less. I have a 50 yd pin, but I never plan on taking a shot more than 30 in the woods. Mostly I use my 50 yd pin for practice. It makes you use perfect form, concentrate, and pick a specific pin point on your target. If you can shoot consistantly at 50, a 20 yd shot will feel simple. When shooting out past 40, there are so many variables that must be accounted for. Unless you practice those shots alot, I wouldn't even consider taking one in the woods.

9. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

the longest I have shot was 42 yards. I had to. I couldnt help it. I fought the urge. but it was under my buddies strand and he was in it a sleep. needless to say he woke up fast. that was about 20 years ago and he is still mad about it. he would probably get over it if I would shut and forget it.but I cant:biggrin1:

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

My max shot is 30 yards. I feel part of bowhunting is getting the animal close.:peace:

11. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

Exactly, double the distance double the degree of difficulty.

Next Feb. I'm going on a sheep hunt, my max will be about 80 yards. :eek:

12. msar

msar New Member

I'd say your answer has been well coverd! I like some shot out to 50 to make the closer ones easier but don't shoot to kill over 30.

13. jkcerda

LOL.

wait until we start shooting for cash.
    lear to stack your pins youngling,, or there will be no happy meal for you.:biggrin1:

14. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

Dont worry partner. I got alllll summer to practice.

Better bring da credit card along. :mad:

15. jkcerda

sure, i have a few,,lets see, take your pick,. i got one froma guy named Mark, another one from Noel, one more from Jack, one from Stephen, 2 from Scott,,,ummm.

the trick would be of course finding out which one has not been reported:p .

as far as practice, you got me there, i am buried in work, Mu butt is glued to the seat:mad: .

16. ecmbowhunter

ecmbowhunter Member

Slap on an HHA and shoot out to 80 yds.:rockon: :doh: :whoo: :loco: