How many have built a draw board?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Greg / MO, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Member

Chris's post about "super tuning" got me to thinking... How many have built their own draw boards? If so, can you post pics and explain some of the processes you went through?

It seems that one very common element or component of getting the most out of your rig is making sure that your cams are in optimal synch... I've even seen some say they're absolutely necessary for tuning single cams (though it was hotly debated...).

So who's got 'em?

2. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

I know 2 guys who have built them. If you have somebody who is familiar with the cam and brand observe you draw and stop can pretty much tell you what a draw board will .

3. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I don't even know what a draw board is :noidea:

4. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

A sheet of plywood that you can mount your bow on laying the bow on the sheet and a winch that can draw the bow and hold it so you can check roll over,timing ,cam lean in the draw cycle, etc.

5. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Nuts & Bolts on at has a nice one and he posted photos of it. Very easy to build

6. I made one Greg. I don't know if I have pics of it on this computer or the one in the basement but I'll find and e-mail them to you soon, Russ.

7. tek

tek Senior Member

Draw board

I built my first Draw board in 03. Its one of the best archery tools I have, use it all the time.

8. Now that I know what it is, I can hold my head up high and say no.:rockon:

9. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Member

Thanks, Russ... I'll look forward to seeing those pics. I know you'll have put the detail into building it which I'm looking for! ;)

10. Scablands

Scablands Member

This is what I use to check timing.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. hrchdog

hrchdog Junior Member

If you have made one how about posting pics for everybody to see.

12. red44

red44 Senior Member

To those who have built one, whats your thoughts on this. Is it better to allow the riser to pivot at the grip or have the riser in a fixed position?

13. erasmu

erasmu Junior Member

Not hard to make one.

I built one on a 6 foot long piece of 2 x 6. I attached a 1/2 NPT pipe flange with screws near one end of the 2 x 6 and then screwed in a 6" piece of 1/2" pipe. I then wrapped the pipe with some tennis racket grip tape so that my bow grip would not be marked. I bought a sturdy winch and bolted that to the other end of the 2 x 6. In use, I attach my Coffee Digital Scale to the winch and then the hook of the scale to my D-loop with a piece of D-loop material. My bows are free to pivot at the grip on the piece of pipe, but once you start cranking the winch, the pivoting stops. I also have a turnbuckle in between the winch and the scale. This allows me to make finer adjustments than the clicks on the winch, if needed. I also attached a 36" steel rule to the 2 x 6 in position to indicate the draw length when I have the bow drawn. I offset the steel rule by 1-3/4 from the outer curve of the pipe so I get the AMO draw length directly.

It works very easily for me. I already had the bow scale. The materials cost very little except for the winch. I am sure there are less expensive ones out there somewhere, but the one I got with nice crank and rope cost over $30.

It sure makes adjusting draw length, draw weight, and checking cam timing a snap.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007