How many years.....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by bullfiddle, Nov 5, 2007.

1. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

At what age did you start hunting and how many years experience do you have?

I started hunting at the age of 12 mostly rabbits and squirels. Killed my first deer at 16 and I have hunted just about everything there is to hunt in Indiana over the last 25 yrs.:peace:

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I probably started about that age also. I mostly hunted squirrels with my 20 guage shotgun. I didn't start hunting whitetail until 1998.

3. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

Does hunting sparrows and blackbirds with my Daisy Red Rider count as "starting"? If so I've been hunting for 25 yrs.:biggrin1:

4. RunMich

RunMich Junior Member

I started hunting when I was 27 years old in 1994. Shot my first deer with a bow 2 weeks into the 94" season. Hunted until 2002, when I had a motorcycle accident and my left hand was almost ripped of at the wrist. I just started hunting again this year with a recurve. Had hunted with a compound before.

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I started hunting with my brothers and dad when I was about 17-18. I also hunted with my boyfriends dad, whom I was with when I got my first and only deer. then I spent a few years hunting with anyone that would take me. I met Brent and haven't hunted since :Cry:

6. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

I started hunting when i was 5-6 with my dad, i couldnt shoot a real gun but i followed him and did as he did then when i was about 7-8 i got a .410 and soon after a 12ga. and now im 17 so its been about 11-12 years for me

7. red44

red44 Senior Member

Hunting w/SG at 14, took my first deer with a bow at 15 (1975). That was beginners luck. Went a heck of a long time till #2. Only hunter in my imediate family. The last few years have been great, but the increase in our deer numbers has surely helped that. I'm greatful for each and every one.

8. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I started at 14 and the passion still seems to grow.You know....it's kinda funny that 37yr's later i can still hear my heart pumping blood when that big globbler or deer steps into veiw.

9. red44

red44 Senior Member

Same here. That is whats keeps me going. Ya know it's kind of nuts, it's only a deer, why the heck does that adrenalin hit like that? Has to be instinct of some kind. Like when a cat is watching a bird and it's teeth are chattering and it's butt is digging in for the launch. Love it.

10. ross334

ross334 Junior Member

Started bowhunting in 1967. Back in the days when a Bear recurve bow was the cat's butt, we made our own cedar arrows using real turkey feathers that we dyed ourselves. About the only thing we didn't do was shape our own broadheads. Instead we used a 3-blade head called an MA-3, and glued Shick injector razor blades to them using Pliobond glue. OMG those bows were slow back then. Killed my first whitetail in 1970 in Michigan UP, a large doe. We hunted strictly on the ground from a natural blind. Camo clothing was either done at home by tie-dying a pair of tan coveralls, or from an Army Surplus store. My first compound bow was a Browning Xcellerator II in 1976. That was crude by today's standards. I now use a Ross CR334.

11. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

I started when i was 25 I think. I had never really hunted before because my family just wasnt in to that. A few of the guys at work bowhunted and talked me into trying it.

I was hooked the first time I went out and enjoy it alot. Even if I dont get anything I just enjoy seeing different animals and being outdoors. I have now been hunting 11 yrs. and get into it more and more every year it seems.

I have taken quite a few animals now and let tons more go by. It took me 3 yrs. to get my first animal ( i pretty much learned everything on my own by reading or experimentation,etc.) and have pretty much taken at least 1 animal each year if not more.

rick

12. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

21 now, hunted squirrels, pheasant and rabbit since I was about 10. Started hunting whitetails in 2004, first deer was a 6 pointer with a reflex excursion at about 8 yards the second day out. Been hooked ever since, whitetails, phesants and coyotes are pretty much all I hunt now, occasionally a squirrel or two with my bow!:noidea: This will be my first year going after whitetails with a muzzleloader, but bowhunting is by far the one I enjoy the most. A 10 yard shot is what hunting is all about!

13. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

im 28 now, started bow hunting at 12, my first deer was nice doe, shot her with a point blank ltd, witch i just retired this year! i love that bow!!

14. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

started when I was 22. now I'm 25. I read everything I can get my hands on and believe half of it!:lol:

15. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I've been in the woods since I was 8 with uncle showing me the ropes. at 12 killed my first deer. so I've been experienced to hunting for 30 years and hunting 26 years.

16. rpford53

rpford53 Member

Started hunting when I was about 8, but was the bird dog before that. Took hunters ed in 1969, so pretty much been hunting for 40 yrs.

17. OA3D

OA3D Member

I didn't really start until 2005 at age 33.
    Spent 2 years learning how to shoot a bow, this coming year will be serious on the course and the woods.
    5 firearms deer, none with bow yet.
    What was done with my pellets gun at age 12 was no hunting:censored:

18. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I started squirrel hunting at 9 or 10, deer hunting with a shotgun at 12, and got my first bow when I was 14. Over thirty years of hunting. :rockon:

19. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Thats funny...:lol: I remember going to those Surplus stoes trying to find camo that fit...and being a tad over 6'4" that was hard to do....use to take the hem out of the cuff's so my pants would be longer:lol: and i had to leave my jacket sleeves unbuttoned or when i straightened out my arm's it was like being in a restraining outfit:lol: anyone who wore camo all looked the same:lol:

20. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Been hunting for about 48 years now, total. Bowhunting 35 years and shooting bow competitively (sort of) since 1973. I'm more into archery now as I haven't had a gun out for 17 years now. Maybe I should just sell them.