How Much Is Too Much

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by savagebandit, Jul 6, 2008.

1. savagebandit

savagebandit New Member

I was given a 7 year old bow, as a gift. I was wondering how much is too much to invest, in this. I invested so far 40 bucks for wb, 20 for sights, 10 for wrist strap. I want to get the cable/string replaced, they say its good. I don't know how it is under the serving, which looks good also. I am also new at this. I also invested 100 in tunning bow and arrows.

2. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Were you a bow hunter before you got this bow? Overall, I think you have managed your money quite well. Compared to what some people spend on equipment, you've just got a drop in the bucket. The thing to remember is that if you ever decide to upgrade to a newer bow, alot of your accessories can be transferred over to the new bow. Arrows can be used year after year if they don't get broken (or bent if they are aluminum). I think that once you find out if bowhunting is for you, you will wind up spending more than you realize.

As a side note, I have a Mathews SQ2 that is about 6 years old and it still spends more time in the deer woods than any other bow I own. It shoots like a dream and doesn't complain one bit when it sits in a treestand all day long. :cool:

3. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

The man is wise. One thing about moving stuff over to the new bow - what happens is you decide to keep your present one set up and ready to go for a back up and then you buy all new stuff all over again! :dizzy: :D

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I think you spent what you would have for any new setup...accessories are a neccessary evil, we have spend what we need to to get the bow shooting...and you can reuse them on your next bow

Now if you said you paid $200 for a 7 yr old bow that's another story...:D

What bow did you get???(make/model)...just curios...:noidea:

5. savagebandit

savagebandit New Member

It's a Formula 3D. I believe Golden Eagle use to make this brand bow. I have know idea of there quality. It's a dual cam that's camo colored. It came with a older stabalizer, which I actually shoot better with it off, for some reason. I have been really enjoying it.:D

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Alot of people don't use a stabilizer...it's all personal feel

Golden Eagle made a good bow...I'm not familliar with the Formula 3D though. The main thing is you are shooting it and having fun. :rockon:

7. savagebandit

savagebandit New Member

Yes I am loving it. I am thinking about getting a kisser button, what's your take.:peace:

8. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

The more anchor points, the better. A kisser is cheap and you can remove it if you don't like it. I also touch the tip of my nose to the string, but I don't use a peep sight.

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, you need to play around a bit to find what works and feels comfortable to you. The good thing is that peeps and kissers are inexpensive so you can experiment with anchor points and such without draining your wallet.

Gook luck and have fun.

Ron

10. red man

red man New Member

i have 3 anchoring points the more the better i have the kisser button and a peep sight and i also use a release with my thumb right at the back of my jaw line. glad to see you got you self in a addictive sport lol what ever money you put in your bow remember it will pay off with that first archery kill it is a thrill for every hunter. :amen: