How much speed????

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by STRO, Mar 7, 2007.

1. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

What's your guys' and girls opinion. I chrono'd my new vectrix xl the other day at Chris's shop. I have a 30 inch draw and bow is set at 65lbs. With my gold tip x-cutters that weigh about 415 grains the bow was shooting 285 fps. With my fatboys that weigh 360 grains the bow was shooting 298 fps. Which arrow would you chose for outdoor 3-d? I haven't messed around with sighting in the fatboys but will i notice much of a difference in pin gap if i switch and start using the fatboys. I guess my question is, will notice much of a difference in gaining 13 fps.

Thanks for your input.

ps. I can't wait till deer season with this bow, it is a shooter. More then I can handle.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

the faster ones

3. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I would go out with whatever arrow groups best at 30-40 yards. If they both group the same, than I would go with the faster arrow.

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I hear lots of guys are going with fatboys for 3D. I'm just not sure how wind will effect them down range??? I think 285 is plenty fast enough for 3D though. Its all a matter of what you have the most confidence in I think.:peace:

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

which ones fly the best???

6. tek

tek Senior Member

Good Advice!

7. STRO

can't answer that honestly, I haven't got the timing down on my jerk when I release the arrow.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yeah that will happen I found I shoot much better with both eyes closed........nothing like blind bailing from 20 yards.:doh:

10. ByteMe

ByteMe Senior Member

My Two Cents...

Okay, so being the hobbyist that I am and most of all the speed freak as well. I go with an arrow that flies fast and straight. I have seen these big boy arrows and my opinion on them is as follows.. now mind you this is only my opinion and I am sure that you all may be better versed in this topic. The only benefit that I see from Big Boys is the ability to "cut lines" due to the "Fatness" of the shaft (Heh Heh he said shaft). Personally, I feel that almost takes away from the accuracy of the shooter. Now follow me here.. if you shoot fat boys and you are up against a shooter with a more skinnier arrow and you both are "almost in" the fatboy will be more prone to cut the line while the skinnier arrow will not. It simple logic. Since I shoot to be as accurate as I can this is why I am stuck on skinny arrows. Also, its been my perception that my skinny arrows fly fast and well I like the speed. Now my new tech has voiced his opinion to me to get me over to fat boys, but I am hessitant.

Speed-wise.. seeing as I am still learning from you all as I move from my hobby stage into my competitive stage... I am not sure if by going to a fatter arrow that makes for a heavier arrow thereby reducing speed. It seems that logic would say yes it does. Hence the reason I have stuck with my skinny arrows because its my perception when shooting against others that my arrows kick their arrows buts on the way down to the target. I havent chrono'd my arrows. I intend to do that when I pick up my newly fletched arrows.

Recommendations, I would say shot all you can to determine what arrows you are the most accurate with. Most of all what arrows you feel "comfortable" with. When you find the arrows that you group the best with, go with them. When I bought my current set I shot a bunch of different ones. I passed on the fatboys coz I didnt like the way they shot with my bow and I didnt feel comfortable with them. Like I said it could be just me. I am not a fan of just shooting something coz others are. I dont know if you all's shops let you shoot different arrows so you can get a feel for them, but mine does. Like I said I am new here so go easy on me, just giving my two cents.

Laters,
    ~Byte~

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

ummm how old are you????:peace:

12. ByteMe

ByteMe Senior Member

Uhhh..

"Imma fo years old!" :D

~Byte~

13. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I went to cx Linnejammers 4 tears ago and they fly and group very well.
    In very strong winds they will drift some what but so does ever one to a degree and everybody has to shoot the wind just like you.
    I use a 55 gr point 2.5" vanes and 29 " arow shootin 64 lbs with dual cams out of a martin and getting 286 which is pushing the limit here>
    I enjoy the advantage of larger arrows> Not that I need one:biggrin1:
    HS

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

hey smokes whats your front of center????

15. STRO

I have extra weights in the points in the gold tip x-cutters and they fly great so far so I am leaning towards them. I have used these the past two years for 3-d. I just got some pin nocks for them.

16. ac8528

ac8528 Junior Member

I agree with BYTE. Also dont count light speeds and gold tip 22

17. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

speed

if your getting that kinda speed. I would chose the ones that grouping the best for what class you are shooting. If these are for 3d or spots? W/ Ibo specs. 5gpi and ASA 280 max fps. doesnt really matter. You just want the ones that drive pin holes consistantly!!! Good luck!!!

18. STRO

MBR class baby. Male Bowhunter Release. I don't need no stinkin lense.:laugh: :laugh:

I shoot 3-d to better my hunting skills so shoot the same bow for both and keep it simple and use the same setup.