How Often do you hunt now?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by swintj1, Oct 9, 2007.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

It's White-Tail season...I was wondering how often you all hunt. Are you out there EVERY Weekend going for your buck, or do you only get out a few times the whole season? How many days out there does it usually take you to get a good shot at a deer??? Trying to get a feel of what I'm in for now switching to bowhunting over rifle.

All the people at Cabelas are saying I'm wasting my time if I don't buy all that Scent-Lok stuff....as long as I have a face mask and socks, shouldn't I be fine if I'm downwind?

-Joe

2. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

Listen, Scent lok is good if your not hiking, I know alot of people might disagree but if your sweating its not going to stop your body odor. I've never used scent lok clothes and I've been successful. Just buy what you can afford, the main thing is confidence. if you feel that scent lok will give you the advatage you need than that goes a long way in the woods on a cold day! as far as how much do I hunt, I go out the first nice cold weekend of hunting season and every weekend after until I bag a deer. Every place is different, if you have alot of hunting pressure where you are then you might not want to hunt weekends. Take a little time off work during the week so you have the woods to yourself. Bowhunting is a sport of it's own and there are no gimmies. Watch the wind use cover scents, and have fun! Good luck.:rockon:

3. pilot

pilot Senior Member

Hunters have been killin deer for how long? But your wasting your time if you don't have the newest high tech scent control garments....yeah....right.....i can see that. :doh:

I've been hunting Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings every weekend for the past month. Not many bowhunters around these parts so i get all the hunting in i can before the deer get pressured come gun season.

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

get some scent free soap, some scent free washing detergent and you are fine. there is more odor on your outerlayer and from soap and shampoo then you put off.

Also, get some cover scent (Dirt scent) and spray yourself good with it. I have no problem with being scented and own 0 scentlok items.

since the weather sucks now I'm only going out Saturday mornings. when it gets down in the 50 - 60 range I'll be heading out a lot more often.

5. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

i normally go every weekend.... but not i cant go untill next year :Cry:

6. Werd

Werd Senior Member

NOT AT ALL THIS YEAR. ITS FLIPPIN 90 DEGREES. lol i have been out about 3 times. its too hot. next week it will be down in the 60s. im sitting next to my window now and its nippy out. but ill be hunting every day when its colder.

7. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

so far this season iv elk hunted 13 days, and for deer ive been in my stand 10 nights, and 1 morning, shot a buck on the 4th night. Been trying to fill doe tags but havent had any good chances at the older ones, could have filled my truck with yearlings and fawns but dont want to really, want good does, our archey season ends this sunday, thursday night im off for a 3 day last horaaa elk hunt.... Then after that, we have a 6 week gun season, we can use bows, so ill be back im my stand every night, if it comes down to crunch time, ill take the thunder stick out to get my does, Ive already planned a 9 day rifle elk hunt if i dont gettem with the sharp stick this weekend, I can also hunt elk every weekend, and deer during the week, im lucky, only bout 30 min from my house to my tree stands for deer and about 2 1/2 hours for elk, and i can leave work early just about every day. I like to hunt!!

8. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Senior Member

Been out EVERY day, either morning or night.
    I have a spare block in the morning for the purpose of hunting.

9. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

Thanks for stayin in because it's a little hot outside. More deer for the die-hards. Deer still movin in the heat, why not be out therE????

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

listen, dredly is a wimp, we have determined this, stop picking on him because of it......

but seriously, our season starts Sat, and I am not going to be out there, I dont have anyplace to store the meat for aging when its this warm out, I have had deer spoil before and its not a good feeling.......

11. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

I can imagine ,spoiled meat sucks!!!!! Me and Bowtecher quarter em down in his garage and put them in a fridge within hours, then we usually cut them up and grind for burger the next day. We bought pretty much our own butcher shop from Cabelas(grinder,stuffer,smoker,slicer,mixer,etc.etc)
    In Feb when all seasons are over we make lots of sausage.:hungry:

12. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I hunt every evenig that I can during the week and all day on Friday and Saturday. I see deer almost every time out but don't always shoot or don't have a good shot. I would feel terrible if I shot and didn't recover a deer because I took an iffy shot.

As for scent lock who knows. Some swear by it, I prefere to go without it and try to manage my scent. This works for me.

"HUNT THE WIND"

13. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Do you guys prefer cover scents, or do you just recommend scent eliminators?

14. pilot

pilot Senior Member

I pretty much use the same system that Dredly mentioned. Wife don't care for me to come home smellin like doe pee, fox urine, etc. :biggrin1:

15. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

I hunt 3 to 4 times a week. I don't use any carbon clothes but I do use scent killer sprays.

16. chainsawlaskowski

chainsawlaskowski Junior Member

Did Fred Bear use scent - loc clothes???

I don't think so! I'm not saying that they might not help, but scent loc or scent shield etc. are not "necessary" to bow hunt and be successful! Playing the wind is so much more important! Cabela's staff are trying to sell products. That's why they are in business. I do shop there often, but don't let anyone fool you to think that you need every gadget on the market to kill a nice deer. I agree that it's a good thing to wash with unscented soaps etc. and to try to do the same with your clothes. I know a farmer that keeps his hunting clothes in the barn and he does just fine. But no matter what, try to stay down wind or hunt a stand where you can. Another important thing is to try to sit still! Especially when bow hunting where you want to get the deer nice and close for a shot.
    Good Luck to you!
    Jeff

17. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I'm with you...
    I hunt whenever I can but work and home ownership cuts into it. The weather could cooperate too but today's high is only supposed to be 52 so we're getting there...

Ron

18. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

I want to thank all of you for all your input. You have really been of great help to me deciding on all this crap. I just want to see a deer really bad, but I have to be honest, I've never tried to get a deer closer to me than 100 yards...so I'm just nervous I'm going to get out there and not see a thing for 3 days strait..every week. But, it sounds like if I'm smart about the wind direction, have some scent killer for myself and my clothes, and learn to shoot this new bow from 10-30 yards, I should be just fine. Thank you for all the advice guys!

-Joe

19. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Nope!

No scent loc clothes,dont need them,wouldnt waste my time or money.
    Been huntin 35years without them and over 100 deer!:noidea:

How much do i hunt?
    Im about 20 minutes from 2000ac.private hunt club with 3 that bowhunt.
    Every evening i can and all day sat. not legal in VA on sunday so i play golf every sunday!:biggrin1: Or go to a shoot but there finished till next year now.

I do use scent attractents and cover scents,i rattle and grunt!
    Thats about it!:biggrin1:

20. red44

red44 Senior Member

Swintj1 everybody starts just like you, you'll do fine. Personally, although I do own 1 set of lightweight scentloc coveralls, I do the scent-free soap and laundry detergent, baking soda for a final rinse, and hang them outside for everything going in the woods. Scent-killer spray once on stand. Nothing will totally eliminate ALL scent, just do the best you can, and pay attention to the wind and sit still, or keep movement slow and to a minimum. It's a rush to have them right up in your face, you'll love it. I try to find a tree big enough to cover my outline, or at least have a fork or big branches to help break up my outline. You can also wire-tie small branches to the bottom of your stand to further break it up. In my case thats more to hide it from other hunters, I don't like company. :biggrin1: Our season starts Monday, but I don't think I'll be out untill later in the week. Good luck, hope you have a herd right under you.