How to shoot a mathews

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by egonz, Sep 6, 2007.

1. egonz

egonz Junior Member

So I am in the market for a new bow. I have been a Hoyt shooter for the last 12 years. I shot a couple of Mathews, Switchback and the Dremelin. At the shop the tech told me that I needed to hold the bow in my "life line" not my tried and true hold. Sure as S***, the second shot "bow bite". I believe the tech said, "told ya". Sooooo my question is, is this true do all the Mathews shooters hold on the "life line / choking grip"?

2. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Ummmm.....No. :p

3. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

No, if your on the life line you got way to much handle in your hand. Can you say torque????

Mathews only down fall.....the grip.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am still trying to figure out if this post is real......

if it is, than no, assume your natural postition of your grip......

sounds like maybe your TECH, dont know his butt from a hole in the ground!!!!

5. hduc2005

hduc2005 Senior Member

:doh: now that's funny :laugh: :laugh:

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

uhhh what?

note to self: never go to his dealer! Hold it like a normal bow and shoot it.

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Like he said...

Ron

8. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

He doesn't know what he think he knows, the only thing that's gonna cause bow bite like that is the drew length is too long for you. you can torque a bow and get away with it, what length did he have you shooting?

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

not true, if you hold the bow incorrectly, lock your elbow in and release you'll get a nice mark on your arm. by holding the bow on your "lifeline" you'll have it much closer to your arm at point of release then if holding it normally.

10. Buckwheat

Buckwheat Member

I think what he is trying to say; in his own niaeve way; is to hold the bow against the pad in your hand between your thumb and life line. I read an article on this not to long ago. The author descirbed gripping the bow between your thumb and your life line, tilting the hand to a slight 45 deg. angle withan open relaxed grip. I tried this with my new Iron Mace and it works great. No bow bite and very little if any torque.

11. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Good tutorial over at www.bowsite.com. Click on "feature... it kept elimiating letters when I posted it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  12. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

This is exactly why I got away from Mathews. The fat grip makes it tougher to keep a consistant grip. I was having troubles slapping my arm and thought my draw was too long. Chris told me it wasn't the draw but the way I was gripping the bow. Switched to Hoyt and love the grip. It is so much easier to consitantly grlp the bow the same way with the Hoyt.

13. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Definately go back to your grip. I just allow the grip to lay against the meaty part under my thumb. And for all of you out.............I like Mathews grip.:p

Its just not made for girly hands.:tape:

14. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Man!

Put an arrow in it and shoot it!:noidea:
    Its a bow it shoots an arrow!:noidea:

15. egonz

egonz Junior Member

Well thanks for the replies. Yes this was a real question not some made up crap. I should have explained my grip the best I can. Imy set up is a 27 " draw and it was set at 65 lbs. I hold the bow with my pinkie and ring finger tucked under which raises my grip even higher. The bow is in the web of my hand with my arm and wrist in a straight line.
    Mathews was arm bent, wrist ****ed, and holding the bow with all my hand on the grip. Imagine choking someone with your hand in an open "C" shape. The most uncomfortable part was the arm being bent so hard instead of straight. The tech suggested even going to a shorter draw length to keep my arm bent. I also shot the Switchback, that was the one that bit me. The Drenalin was more forgiving to me. Most admit it was smoking fast.

16. BowhuntnHoosier

How about some pictures of that grip from several different angles???:noidea:

17. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Not to be mean!

If you shoot a bow, Any bow and you like it and want it, You will probable buy it!
    If it slaps your wrist a few times!
    You will figure out how to hold it different so it dosent do that anymore,Trust me!
    I shoot a Baby-G a wrist breaker ask the guys!:laugh:

18. BowhuntnHoosier

Yep...............I shot a Baby-G a few times and must say definately need to be careful with those things.

Funny story a kid shot a used one at the shop and thought wow that feels nice. So he left and came back with the money. I told him to watch it cause it will bite ya. He said aww I been shootin for 2 years now. 4 shots later he was cryin.:laugh: All I could say was.......................how long you been shootin son.:laugh:

19. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

I know!

I had ta make a string surpressor just for it!
    Now no more bite!:lol:
    Here it is with a custom wrap buy J.C Morgan! Awesome job with the wrap,JC!:rockon:

20. BowhuntnHoosier

Nice enough bow and sts. But that nasty looking metal D-Loop.:doh: :frusty: :laugh: